Click here if you are having website access problems ×

H4 LED headlight bulbs?

AntonyH

Mostly an 'idle curiosity' question, having recently invested two purple notes (nearly) in Halfords' 'ultra brilliance' bulbs.

Has anyone experimented with any of the LED H4 bulbs?

Loads currently on ebay (at seemingly impossibly low prices) from Shenzen / HK, like this:

here, ebay item 220979403442

(If linky no worky, ebay.co.uk -> search for "h4 LED")

Some with 120 chips on the stack, some with 102, some with just five huge emitters ( like this one, item 110877313492

Just wondered how they compare in the real world (aka driving in the dark) to a decent H4. And, er, if they're legal at all.

Does that really matter, and provided the lamp glass is E-marked, it would have to be a sharp eyed person to spot! Given by how many badly aligned or missing headlight there are on the road, the BiB dont seem too interested in headlight issues! Having just fitted a pair of LED side lights from eBay/ Hong Kong, I wonder what the headlamp bulbs are like. I could do with a bit more illumination and for £4 it got to worth a go!

Edited by - TomB on 11 Oct 2012 19:50:29

Quite a bit more 😬 I picked up on the idea on a Danish land rover forum and as far as I can tell from there they are legal in Denmark because of the E-mark. Don't know that translate to the UK though *redface*

I like the idea of led lights, and if they are brighter that the originals it would be a plus.

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
How much 😳

........& then a stone kicks up & punches a hole in the glass. *cry* I'd stick with the standard lights, perfectly adequate (especially with philips super bright bulbs that were very cheap at homebase a few years back). *wink*

Quoting John Hughes: 
They are not headlight bulbs i.e. they do not have a dip/beam function so only work in a fog or driving light setup.

Good spot!

These at under a tenner for a pair do indicate a main/dip function ("Hard light" and "low light" connections, forgiving the translation!), but it's since occurred that the usefulness of a headlight is not defined purely by the brightness of the bulb.

There's also the beam pattern to consider, and a standard H4 filament bulb has two point (almost) sources of light. These sit in specific spaces (ish) within the reflector bowl such that the bowl and lens conspire to produce a dipped beam that lights up the tarmac and white lines, and a main beam that picks up owls in the trees whilst leaving the road in darkness*. The LED versions have 120 light sources spread around a much larger volume within the bowl, so I would expect the beams to be much more diffuse and thus less usable.

I'd still be interested to see a comparison done but for the moment I'll not bother!

*Maybe that's just ours.