Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternator Bearings

Chris Coxall

It is worth it given the cost of refurbished alternator from an Auto Electrician, with which you'd also get a new diode pack (which is the most common source of failures) and a warranty? Sod law you'd stripping & replace the bearings in your current alternator, and the diode pack would fail in 6 months time!

What sort of K-series alternator do you have? I have a Lucas A127, old Metro GTi stylee with straight adjuster bar, on my car and a rebuild kit was £20! Both bearings, rectifier, regulator and slip ring. So I now have three alternators, just in case.

A newer alternator is likely to be rebuildable, but whether it is worth it is another matter.

Mankee, please can you tell me where you got the rebuild kit from? I have an intermittent diode fault which means when first started, the red light glows on the dash board until the engine is blipped. Would be good if I could correct this and rebuild the alt for only £20.

Tom, as far as I know, that behaviour is normal for Lucas A127s. The charging circuit only kicks in once it's had a "push", i.e. you give it a blip. I can't remember where I read it, but I'll post up if I can find it again.

I got my rebuild kit from good ole eBay. Just type in "Lucas A127 repair" or similar. They do vary in price. I went for the full kit as the bearings were noisy, as well as the alternator being totally non-functioning.

I seem to remember Raceline telling me that on their ZETEC alternator kit the pulley was smaller to cope with the higher revs than that of a standard tin top and they are wired with self "exciting" single wire regulators. Therefore it will take more revs that tick over to first "excite" the alternator to start charging when the engine is first started, i.e. a blip will do it. I'm probably talking b@ll@cks again 😬 but this seems to explain the way it works better than I do:

“The field windings are initially supplied power from the battery via the ignition switch and "charge" warning indicator (which is why the indicator is on when the ignition is on but the engine is not running). Once the engine is running and the alternator is generating power, a diode feeds the field current from the alternator main output equalizing the voltage across the warning indicator which goes off. The wire supplying the field current is often referred to as the "exciter" wire. The drawback of this arrangement is that if the warning lamp burns out or the "exciter" wire is disconnected, no current reaches the field windings and the alternator will not generate power”

• Area Representative

Quoting Chris Coxall: 
Has anybody replaced the alternator bearings themself on a K series- is it possible?

Yes, I did this a couple of years ago. It took less that an hour to remove the alternator, replace the bearings, and refit.

Quoting Chris Coxall: 

If so, what are the part no.s for the bearings. *confused*

6003 2RS and 6303 2RS or 6203 2RS look to be likely candidates.