Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Overrun

stagemaker

I can't say for sure that it's normal, but my 1.8K VVC does exactly the same. Maybe not as long as a couple of seconds, but there's definitely a delay between switching off and the engine stopping. I'm sure one of the technical gurus on here will enlighten us as to why it does this?

Edited by - revilla on 23 Sep 2012 15:54:37

This has been covered before so a search should give a better explanation. I can't remember the finer points but when the key is turned off the fan can still be spinning. This generates some electricity like an alternator which gets fed back into the wiring and ends up in the ignition system. It doesn't happen very much with mine in the winter.

Thanks guys for your usual informative explanations! I've read the other threads and it all makes sense, although I never would have though of either possibility myself (the fan acting as a generator or the alternator self-exciting through the warning lamp). I learn something every day.

Quoting Steve Wright: 

They do that if the cooling fan is running at the time.

Mine was the same ("was" because I have sold it and traded up to something else). Startled me at first but then I calmed down as it seemed a consistent feature. What happens when you switch off and the fan is not running?