Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR style front wings

Fishy Dave

Polling for interest at this stage, please put your names down on this thread.

I have spoken briefly to Steve at YCPlasticsabout producing CSR style wings in ABS plastic to suit 13" wheel S3/SV wingstays.

YC plastics currently produce standard cycle wings directly to Caterham, and can't sell these to the public. I have a pair of their half doors from the group buy organised in the summer and have been very impressed with their quality and fit for the money. Steve is a racer and so has a good knowledge and interest in our cars.

Why would you want to change your standard wings to the CSR style? Well, they fit closer to the tyre and have a more aerodynamic profile, reducing front end lift and drag. Produced in plastic they are cheaper to replace than carbon fibre. Interesting article here on aerodynamics- Myothercarsa2cv

I would need to look in to what to do for those with side repeaters, and just how close they would fit to the tyre (would they accomodate a 65 or 70 profile for example).

Probable cost range for a pair in black gloss ABS is likely to be less than £60+ postage to include an NTL donation, with the carbon effect being £70-£75+ postage.

Cheers, Dave

May well be interested if they are the same shape as the cc csr wing, as these are what I have fitted, i personally have not liked the shapes of some of the other aftermarket csr style wing though, have been looking for a plastic abs version after being impressed with some regular abs cycle wings I fitted to a friends car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have spoken to Steve at YC Plastics yesterday and we have enough interest for him to look into producing a mould. I have agreed to pay him a visit in a couple of weeks with my Seven to measure up. In the mean time if anyone has a CSR wing I can have, even a broken one is fine, as I would like to keep the proportions as close to orginal as possible. *smile*

The CSR wings are not a great fit for the 6 x 13 wheels that most of us run so wonder whether you might want to cut them down in size a bit, in order to get a closer fit with 185 x 60 x 13 tyres?

Agree with AdC on indicators - should be easy enough to drill a hole for anyone who wants to add indicators.

Thanks again for pursuing this Fishy Dave. *thumbup*

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just waiting on getting a free day off so I can get over to Wales and meet up with the plastics company. Both my front wings are in a bad way too, but it's going to take some time, sorry. The joys of working in the motor industry which gives me one day off every two weeks *smile*

I have had some great help from Kevin Russell who has fitted CSR wings to his S3 using custom made wing stays. He has pointed out that the standard wing stays are just too high and far away from the tyre to get the aesthetics and aero right. I have bought a new set of race wing stays (delivered a few days ago) to give another alternative when measuring up at YC plastics.

I will get in touch once I have more details. *smile*