Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drip Drip

Grandmaster Flatcap

I there would be problems with a car that has stood for 9 years, but had hoped none would surface this quick...

I've noticed that after a run, when C8RHM is put back in the garage she drops 2/3 drips of oil onto the floor. It's only after a good run when she's nice and warm. I've not been able to have a good luck underneath yet - and not sure I'd know everything to look for.

So, what should I check for, what can be ignored for a while, and what could prove fatal if left?

Thanks for any advice!

N.

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
First thing to find out....is it gear oil or engine oil?

HP gear oil has a much stronger smell than engine oil.

Erm, not convinced I want to sniff my garage floor ... 😳

I'm definite its from the diff or immediate area. C8RHM always goes in the garage the same way - the engine has never been above where the drips, er, drip.

N.

Nigel, like Kenny I'm also just round the corner from you and as kenny says - The live axle has a breather tube at the top of the diff casing, sometimes, if the diff has been overfilled, oil will 'come out' of this tube. Dip your finger in it and smell it, EP90 has a strong smell!

Or by all means pop round and I'll take a look.

• Area Representative

Quoting Nigel Mercer: 
It is a live axle.

Are you sure? I thought it was a de dion car that you bought.

Whatever it is, 2 or 3 drips won't be a real problem, but you need to have a look underneath to see where it is coming from and I'd also check levels in gearbox and diff. just to be sure.

Quoting Paul Richards: 
Quoting Nigel Mercer: 
It is a live axle.

Are you sure? I thought it was a de dion car that you bought.

No, not sure - just dumb *confused*

I remember that there is a test when the rear is jacked - something about turning one wheel and the other wheel behaves differently (turns the other way?). Or did I just make that up?

A K series car like yours will have dedion rear suspension in which case I'm sure you will have the standard ford open (ie non LSD) diff.

Out of the interest do you have the standard Avon ZV3 tyres? Many discussions on here about them.....best to think about replacing them as they are a bit of a nightmare in the wet. *eek*

• Area Representative

Nigel

Yes. Certain it is de dion axle. The test you are thinking about is to check whether you have a limited slip differential (LSD) - a different thing.

Suspect SM25 is correct about your tyres. Good advice to change to something like Yoko AO21s as a good all round touring tyre.

Get along to LADS meet 5.9.12 for some advice/help. *thumbup*

Quoting Paul Richards: 
Nigel

Yes. Certain it is de dion axle. The test you are thinking about is to check whether you have a limited slip differential (LSD) - a different thing.

Suspect SM25 is correct about your tyres. Good advice to change to something like Yoko AO21s as a good all round touring tyre.

Get along to LADS meet 5.9.12 for some advice/help. *thumbup*

Paul, currently booked for child sitting duties on the 5th, but trying to organise a stunt double so that I can come along.

• Area Representative

ZV1's - even worse. *eek* I changed from ZV1s and it totally transformed my car. Now much more confidence in the road holding and grip.

The only good things about ZV1's is that you'll never wear them out. 😬