Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter motor woes??

weeman

Having changed the plugs and oil I tried starting the car. It coughed and spluttered but wouldn't fire into life. Eventually the battery died.

I've checked that the coils are in the correct order (as you'll all know it's difficult to get it wrong). I fitted a fresh battery and it flattened after just a five or six attempts to start the car. This time round the starter seemed to be turning the engine much more slowly, and now, no matter how good the battery the engine barely turns over at all.

I've also noticed that the leads from the battery are warmer than normal, so I assume that something is drawing a larger than usual current.

Off he car, the starter seems to operate normally but of course it's not under load.

All thoughts welcome.

Anyone know of a good place to buy another starter, other than CC. I suppose a ford dealership would be a good place to start?

TIA

Be lucky!!

Martin

Be Lucky!!

Edited by - weeman on 8 Aug 2012 08:47:35

Edited by - weeman on 8 Aug 2012 09:04:34

Steve, having struggled with similar symptoms on Mikes S4, bad earthing was one of my first thoughts. As far as I can tell all connections seem okay.

Be lucky!!

Martin

Edited by - weeman on 8 Aug 2012 09:03:16

Edited by - weeman on 8 Aug 2012 09:07:51

provided the connections are good, and you say you've checked them, starter motors normally work or they don't, although the solenoids can play up. Hot leads suggest a high current load. Starters are 'series' motors so almost look like a short circuit when stalled or running very slowly (little or no back emf) and draw a huge current. I'm guessing that your problem is elsewhere and that your engine is stiff or even seized and difficult to turn over. Have you tried turning it over with the plugs out? Could you have overfilled it with oil and its got to places that it shouldn't, e.g. the bores?

I'd take the plugs out, put it in gear and try pushing it to make sure that its free and check the bores for oil before doing anything else . Did you change a cam belt when doing the service and is it on right?

And, as Roger asks, what engine is it?

Edited to add, Oops, must type faster and its Duratec so chain not belt

Paul

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 8 Aug 2012 09:48:54

Thanks Paul.

I've turned the engine over by hand, with the plugs in and the plugs out and all seems fine. Managed to look down into the bores whilst turning the engine and there's no evidence of oil ingress.

Always measure the drained oil and replace with the same amount plus 1/2 a litre.

Be lucky!!

Martin

that's a relief. Does sound starter or associated wiring related then. When its cranking, albeit only just, do the lights dim? This would help confirm whether its the starter/solenoid or battery or connections to it. A healthy battery and good wiring will drive the starter and not extinguish the lights although they will dim/flicker a bit. If the lights stay up when cranking it would suggest that the battery and its connections to the main loom and chassis etc are ok and the problem is the main connection to the starter, the solenoid contacts or the starter itself.

For those interested here's an update.

The starter has been stripped, armature cleaned, rebuilt (by Tom New) and fitted back on the car.

Because my car has a gel battery and it's fitted in a not so accessible place I've been using a battery outside of the engine bay, connected with heavy duty jump leads, knowing this to be far from ideal I refitted the gel battery and connected it properly.

Low and behold the engine began to turnover with more gusto although it was still reluctant to fire. I persevered on the button and after some coughing and spluttering it fired into life.

The richness of the exhaust indicates that the car had flooded worse than Boscombe.

Been out for a bit of a spin and the car runs a treat, and it starts without hesitation.

Left it to cool down so as to try starting from cold again and all seems well.

Problem is I'm none the wiser as to what the initial problem was/is, so the car is now in the capable hands of Tom to investigate things further.

I'll post a further update on here just in case I learn something that may be of use to someone else in the future.

A big thank you to all those who posted suggestions here.

Be lucky

Martin

Edited by - weeman on 8 Aug 2012 17:50:41

Edited by - weeman on 8 Aug 2012 17:52:14