Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD transfer into another diff, possible?

anthonym

I am being told that while to transfer my LSD from my 3.62 diff into my 4.0 diff is possible, it risks experiencing. noisy diff because the two sets of components have not worn throgh their respective lives together and different wear profiles of each can (not will) lead to noise.

I want to transfer my LSD but. .. need voice of experience, and pictures.

And what time does the work demand?

Help please.

Anthony

Surely if you buy a complete diff (as in casing, pinion, crownwheel etc.) then, assuming that they were fine and noise-free in the first place, bolting your LSD in place of the open diff will not cause any problems? You aren't mixing and matching the pinions and crownwheels from two different diffs so the different wears are irrelevant.

Pictures of diffs and things on Angus' website:

http://www.mycaterham.com/66828/117416.html

I don't think fitting a new crown wheel and pinion in your old casing will cause any problems if you also change the bearings because you are changing all the wear parts. The only thing is that the pinion height may not be perfect as Ford shimmed each individual casing/pinion . You won't manage to do this job yourself unless you have the right unique tools for this job.

As mentioned above, Phil at Road & Race will do this job for you.

Jason

Ok a few misunderstandings here. My 3.62 LSD complete is out of the car. In its place in the car is another used open 4..0:1 diff in its own casing.

Can I transfer the limited slip components? I understand yes. My question is whether there is or what is the risk of noise issues owing to the two already used components being brought together late in their lives?

I am being given this issue as a reason NOT to transfer my LS components.

Thanks for pics. Off to have a look.

Quoting anthonym: 
Ok a few misunderstandings here. My 3.62 LSD complete is out of the car. In its place in the car is another used open 4..0:1 diff in its own casing.

Can I transfer the limited slip components? I understand yes. My question is whether there is or what is the risk of noise issues owing to the two already used components being brought together late in their lives?

I am being given this issue as a reason NOT to transfer my LS components.

Thanks for pics. Off to have a look.

Right, yes you can and it is a job you can do yourself but you will need a tool (from ebay) to take the bearing housings off. No risk of any more noise than you have already.

Jason

Noise when running in a straight line is down to the crown wheel and pinion meshing which, as I understand it, you're not planning to change. If they're quiet now and the diff is rebuilt properly, it should be no more noisy than it is now. It might even be a bit quieter after bearings have been replaced which is usually recommended by the likes of Phil Stuart.

The LSD replaces the planet wheels and cage that they sit in and this normally just spins around with the crown wheel to which its bolted. None of its internal components are rotating or sliding against each other until you go around a corner, causing the outer rear wheel to rotate faster than the inner. This action can cause some noise and clicking, although it varies with lsd type.

So the short answer is 'yes', provided the lsd is compatible with your diff. It won't affect the noise in a straight line although lsd action can make a bit of noise when cornering hard which you probably won't notice as you're having so much fun.

edited for typos!

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 2 Aug 2012 09:30:17