Click here if you are having website access problems ×

lighting/electrical problem

pug7

A strange one. Still building the SV but getting close to drivable down the drive (best get paperwork away!) but the read fog light doesnt work nor main beam but the main beam does work on the flasher switch ?

ive got the fuse box loose, with ignition on theres 12V on every fuse except rear fog,L and R side tail/ main beam,dip beam. If you switch on any of the lights, then you have 12V on the fuse except for rear fog. I give in im confused and out of ideas - any one got any suggestions whats going on with the wigly amps and volts ?

the wigly amps and volts ?

thats the problem shouldn't be using the wiggly type should be using the flat type

Tim

need to have a think about real fault not got any diags to hand, sounds like a couple of reversed wires somewhere

just tried it with the headlamp rocker switch on(full on not side lights) then the fog light and the full beam switch both work. So Im guessing thats how it should be just odd the rest of lights all work with the keys out !

Still not got my head round why the fuses are only live if the switch is in the on position, but if its working as it should thats good enough for me - just want it through the post build and IVA as fast as I can to use it !

Not doing bad only had the kit 4 weeks on monday, im on my last box only side screens, front wings, nose, bonnet and bleed the brakes to go. Oh and one rear wing thats gone back to be repainted...(dont ask what happened ! *mad* )

• Leadership Team

Thats some progress, well done. Delay on IVA is about 4-5 weeks at the mo, so best get the paperwork off asap.

Just checked my lights, work exactly the same as you have described. If it makes you feel any better, I rested my front wings on the stays for a picture, gust of wind, wing paint side down on the block paving *mad* Polished most of the scuffs out but I still know I messed it up! BTW, brakes took ages to get right, patience is very much called for, have you done the clutch?

Garry

Most cars now have headlights controlled by ign sw after all they by law are only supposed to be on when car is moving,also fog lights are only supposed to be used with dip beam so that's stat as well. It really pisses me off when folk park and sit in car with engine running and headlights on.

Yup thanks jonathan, sometimes i put my "thick head" on, still ive spoken to caterham 4 times over it and noone suggested that !

I thought IVA be about 3 weeks - its the job for tomorrow.Also need to get booked into Caterham for post build inspection too. i get side tracked and end up in the garage assembling rather than sorting it out... as for your wing and paint I shall let you guess why my rear wing was dispatched to dartford on friday way beyond a polish just glad its only paint damage and not fibreglass. Plus today it got an extra 3/32 hole though the side *mad* Drilling the poper hole on the hood (lower forward one by wheel arch) and the drill bit snapped resulting in the broken bit still in the drill going through the ally just glad its under the boot cover. I guess its been personalized now.......

Clutch is bled (as far as i can tell i darnt try using it with the engine going until i sort some brakes out as the drive is downhill....

As for IVA guess who was too busy building to take pics ? ive got a lot of the car going together but only 1 of me with the car when the kit first went in the garage. Any suggestions on that one ? Id rather not start taking it to bits again but that dif is never coming out again.

• Leadership Team

Just get one taken of you with a spanner/socket wrench in hand with your head in the engine bay?

Worked for mine (you may get away with the one of delivery but if not its a delay while they come back to you).

Bummer about the side skin, still, as you say it will be covered.

I think all kit builds have an element of personalisation about them!

Get the picture taken, print it off and post those forms!!!!

Good luck with the brakes. *smile*

Lead time on IVA appears to be variable.

My car passed its IVA on Thursday. I applied for this over 8 weeks before! *eek* I was told 4 -5 weeks lead time so applied and at the same time booked it into CC for the PBC 5 weeks from postage date. All finished in time for the PBC and then had to sit on hands and wait for IVA. CC endeavoured to get a cancellation but no such luck.

Get that paperwork done!

I can second that. I sent off the paperwork in the middle of April and got 20th June. When I queried the delay with CC they said that Gillingham was testing a lot of minibuses and that was causing the delay (because they take longer to test). Someone mentioned that it might be to do with the Olympics (what else!).

Perhaps CC midlands might be quicker?

Andrew