Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Academy Roll Cage - Metric Chassis

classic1952

I am about to remove the full cage from my 2009 Caterham Academy and replace it with a trackday roll bar. The cage is in good condition as the car was only raced once. I am open to sensible offers and can deliver within a 50 mile radius of Leeds for the cost of fuel.

Quoting classic1952: 
This information should open up the market a bit!

As would an indication of price 😶‍🌫️ *thumbup*

Edit to untick the email notification box *mad*

Edited by - Dignity on 30 Jun 2012 15:42:17

I could be mistaken, but I have seen the odd car advertised as having an" R400 roll cage" and the photos showing the hooped type, so perhaps this was an upgrade option? The Caterham online parts site shows an R400 race rollcage at £954 so perhaps some cars have these fitted?

Also, perhaps the car in the site photo is an earlier car competing in the 2009 Academy?

The car in that photo is a 2008 Academy car with the number plate photoshopped by Caterham as promo for the 2009 series. Hooped cages were only used by the Academy in 2007 and 2008. These hooped cages have the same external dimensions as the cages used in the Academy in other years (i.e. the hood will fit over it) and are very different to the SLR/R400 cages which have different mounting points etc.

As Matthew said.

2007 was the first metric car, but with a K-series engine.

2008 was a metric car, but with a Sigma engine.

I have a feeling that the loopy Roadsport cages were Safety Devices cages. The 2009 cage (diagonal) is a Caged one and is still standard fitment.

As a race / track car, I would go for the diagonal. It's much easier for the driver to get in and out. Conversely, it's worse for the passenger.

Jez

• Leadership Team

Quoting Z3MCJez: 

I have a feeling that the loopy Roadsport cages were Safety Devices cages. The 2009 cage (diagonal) is a Caged one and is still standard fitment.

My loopy-topped metric Roadsport cage was made by Caged.

Stu.

Quoting sforshaw: 
Quoting Z3MCJez: 

My loopy-topped metric Roadsport cage was made by Caged.

Stu.

Thanks Stu. I was wrong on that then.

Jez

Quoting classic1952: 
A minefield! One of the cars I looked at was a factory built 2007 registered Academy car (2006 chassis number) with an imperial chassis with a looped cage carrying the Caged stickers! This is not an exact science!

This really surprises me. Not the 2006 chassis number, as that will be expected for the 2007 Academy, nor the loopy cage, but the fact that it was an imperial chassis, as that would be different from the metric chassis and one side or the other would benefit.

Maybe they were all imperial in 2007. But I didn't think they changed the car and engine in the same year and 2008 was definitely the first Sigma year.

Anyway, BTTT!

Jez

• Leadership Team

Quoting classic1952: 
A minefield! One of the cars I looked at was a factory built 2007 registered Academy car (2006 chassis number) with an imperial chassis with a looped cage carrying the Caged stickers! This is not an exact science!
I've had both metric and Imperial loopy topped Roadsports cages, both made by Caged.

Stu.