Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lower wishbone to upright, play detected at MOT.

Peter G

Recent MOT gave me an advisory on play between the lower wishbone and the upright. This is a spherical joint so the question is, do they pop out nice and easy? I think they are retained by a circlip, so should I fit new ones at the same time?

Any onther tips/clues?

Thanks

Peter

I've had the same advisory on mine ☹️

I will be doing it in the next week or so with the help of John (bio) I bought a new spherical joint and some circlips and I am told its an easy fix 😬 *thumbup* you'll need the new circlip as the old one is non serviceable once removed *thumbup*

Peter

I have done this job a couple of times. The easiest way is to remove the wishbone from the car. The bearing will probably need drifting out after removing the circlip.

I have always re-used the circlip and used some loctite on the new bearing.

Hope to see you this evening.

Cheers

Graham

Couldn't get the SB out of my then 8-year old wishbone, with the wishbone off the car.

Took it to Freestyle - Gary used the old two sockets and a vice trick.

Vice and workbench on the verge of breaking when it went - with a hell of a bang !!!!!

Yes, the circlip was removed first ! Suggest soaking it with PlusGas for a few days beforehand.

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Vice and workbench on the verge of breaking when it went - with a hell of a bang !!!!!

http://niknak.org/g/cars/my-cars/02-caterham-7/09-08-21spherical-joint-replcement/21082009374.jpg/0/maxsize-650

It actually did break our vice when I did one of my originals *eek*

Once you've got them replaced you should notice much solid steering with less play and less vibration. Should sharpen it up nicely *thumbup*