Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Universal joint in propshaft - can I disassemble/reassemble?

charlie_pank

I have a 2 piece propshaft and I want to get the rear section replaced with a TRT. I know Bailey Morris will do this for me, but I was wondering, if I get them to send me a TRT of the right length, attached to half a UJ, is splitting the old UJ and then linking up the new one something I can do myself, or best left to the experts?

If you have the following items it is pretty straightforward;

1. Circlip pliers

2. A vice

3. Socket with inside larger than bearing cups

4. Socket with outside smaller than bearing cups

(You will be using these as a spacer to press out the bearing)

General idea is to remove circlips, put large socket on one side and small socket on the other and press the cups out into the large socket IYSWIM.

Quoting Mr Locust: 
If you have the following items it is pretty straightforward;

1. Circlip pliers

2. A vice

3. Socket with inside larger than bearing cups

4. Socket with outside smaller than bearing cups

(You will be using these as a spacer to press out the bearing)

General idea is to remove circlips, put large socket on one side and small socket on the other and press the cups out into the large socket IYSWIM.

That's it? great, I can do that!

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
For something spinning at high speed right next to your body I would always leave it to the experts !

Many moons ago I decided I was fed up with getting ripped off by garages in SE London, so I began working on my car myself. The future Mrs Pank expressed some concern that I was changing the brake pads, and 'what if I got it wrong?' etc... My response was this: 'I'm following the instructions clearly laid out in the Haynes manual. It's either me doing it or some teenager down at Kwik-fit. Who do you think is going to have a greater vested interest in getting it right?'

And now I've read a little around it, I'm glad that I've never dared do anything other than a granny-start in this car!

Admittedly more out of sympathy for the poor ickle clutch rather than the gearbox and/or prop, but still... *biggrin*

Quoting Myles: 
Although amusingly, I find that my Westie was built with one (once the reverse box was removed): 😬 😳

http://www.davidhackett.me.uk/megabird/pages/spec.shtml

So you have the legend that is DH2's old car ? That was a work of love, followed his progress and he helped out on the Craig's Phoenix GSXR1000 build (an ex Caterham 21 owner) from which I got a lot of help.