Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Build - Ride Height Questions

1360rallye

I've almost completed building my Supersport. Yesterday I lowered it on to it's wheels and thought that looks very low. I had only 50mm under the sump and the back of the car was very high. So I tried winding in the front shocks without much impact on the ride height. Checked with CC today and was advised that 165mm would be the correct spring length- well I've got shorter than that already and it's still around 50mm....

At the rear the DD seems to sit less than 10mm above the chassis tube when the car is supported by axle stands under the DD.

I suspect I've done something wrong - just can't work out what...

Andrew

Hi 1360rallye - I had the same issue with my build, the ride height was very low to begin with.

To get appropriate clearance at the front I had to wind up the springs almost to their maximum travel (i.e. much further than expected).

Mine is an SV though with the wide track front. How about you?

Cheers

Mark

Edited by - spiderlane on 23 May 2012 20:11:40

• Area Representative

Quoting 1360rallye: 
Checked with CC today and was advised that 165mm would be the correct spring length- well I've got shorter than that already and it's still around 50mm....

Are you measuring the length of the springs with the weight of the car on them?

You should be measuring the spring lengths with the car jacked up, and the wheels off the floor.

If you've adjusted spring platforms, make sure that they are the same side to side.

I have just finished my SV supersport. Off the stands I have 3 inches under the sump. CC advise 85mm is the min. Rear does look high on mine but may be effect of 13 inch wheels. Spring adjusters are as they came out of the box.

It is going to CC for PBC on Friday and I have asked them to wind it up a bit to something a bit more useable on the road.

Regards

Mark

Andrew, my supersport is similar, about 50-60mm(ish) sump clearance without driver and passenger *eek*. The back end looks relatively 'high' but this was confirmed as normal at the PBC. Touch wood, no sump/road contact so far, the setup is stiff which helps prevent bottoming out, just avoid speed bumps!

Edited by - Boss Hogg on 23 May 2012 22:51:56

Giles - http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/pp143/1360rallye/?action=view&current=DSCF2961.jpg

Richard - I am measuring the spring length with the car on axle stands - 160mm both sides.

Re the rear suspension - how far should the DD sit above the chassis rails when the DD is supporting the weight of the car? (the rear spring platforms are at their outermost setting)

Andrew

Andrew,

I don't see the damper extensions needed for wide track. Are these not needed on new cars? i.e. are the damper units already widetrack? With these missing the car will sit too low.

Giles

• Area Representative

Andrew,

As Giles says, it does not look like there are any extensions on the dampers that are normally used on wide track cars.

Additionally, those springs do not look like normal Roadsport/Superlite front springs, but I think it is likely that the 165mm refers to standard Roadsport/Superlite springs.

Just been on the phone to CC Tech dept. They confirm that SS has different shocks and doesn't need a spacer at the top. Their advice

1. Fit the shocks upside down - otherwise may encounter problems with IVA when on full droop

2. When I take the shocks off look at where the thread is mounted - apparently I may be able to move the threaded tube ( which is located with a circlip) and create extra room to wind up the adjustable mounts.

On the DD sitting so close to the chassis rail even when under load they didn't have answer - other than we will sort it during PBC.

Will have a look at this over the weekend and report back...

Andrew

An evening on the spanners and it's sorted.

Removed front struts (a pain to undo the top bolt) - refitted them upside down (tried to move the circip on the platform to create more height but there was no way the spring would refit so simply fitted it upsidedown as instructed.

Turning to the rear suspension I removed the struts and removed the circlip on the spring platform and moved it down to the next grove (1"). Refitted the shocks and' with the platform rings unscrewed to the max I have 1.5" between DD and chassis rail on full droop.

Lowered everything back in to the ground and hey presto I've got 80mm under the sump, 125mm under the chassis rail at the engine mount and 140mm under the chassis rail at the front of the rear

wheel arch.

Feel quite chuffed now as I've learned a bit more - but there really should be a few more clues in the Assembly Guide.

Andrew