Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The long wait is just about over but

Davidmatthews

Well if all goes well I should get my long awaited R300 this weekend :)Its going to caterham midland tomorrow ,now I'm having armafoil put on rear arches as recommended ,but do I get anywhere else done ? Do not really want to much done if not needed as prefer the just paint look on its own.

Any advice would be great !!

Thanks David

Nose for sure. There are so many little bits. I did the sides, the area where the fuel cap hangs and touches the rear boot area and a some patches where the side curtain( doors) rest against the bonnet.

Im sure I am going to get ribbed for that but I do prefer to avoid the little dings.

David, I guess it comes down to how much you want to guarantee you will get no stone chips. I have done the rear arches as you have, and the bits on the sides where the doors close onto. Both have definitely saved damage, the rear arches are a no brainer, the ones on the sides you can see the markings on the armourfend where the door has rubbed, this would have been on the paint otherwise. These were done 8 years ago when I got the car.

In terms of other areas, the area on the bonnet where the doors open on to may be worth while, you can just about see some marking on my paintwork where this has rubbed slightly over the years, mine is yellow on a different colour it may show more. The nose cone isn't covered and I haven't suffered any marks as a result of not having it.

Armourfend is a bit like insurance, how much do you want to spend to counter the risk and cost of marks to the paintwork.

If I was to change mine I would probably only do the rear arches to be honest.

Graham.

Make sure that the full width of the wing is covered. Mine stops about half way round the outside edge 90 degree bend, and the stones have taken all the gel coat off of this area, where the Armourfend ends. *mad*

I have just bought a 2007 R400 with protection on the nose, rear wings and down both sides. After owning a non-protected car for 22 years I know the one I prefer. Glad the previous owner had the same opinion, as the metalic paint is flawless.. 🥰 Its OK having stone chips all over the rear wings for character, but then again it makes the car look tatty *cry* Its just down to personal taste afterall *smile*

Thanks for all your advice ,went for rear arches in the end ,but it's gone wrong !! ,Had a call to say the armafend has rippled on the out side edges when putting it on and they have found a crack in the inside of one of the arches ,so they need to get a new arch and paint it and re do the armafend.

How hard is the armafend to get off ?,is the a chance anything will get damaged like paint ?

Will the new painted arch match up ok ?

Has anyone had experience with this before ?