Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec S3 2.3 alternator replacement

wild bill

Right, alternator has packed up again ( second time in three years) I have a new spare ready to fit. I may have access to next doors ramp tomorrow. I know it's straightforward to replace but it looks very tight to remove any pointers before I start getting grazed knuckles? I've got a nasty feeling someone will be along to say its an engine out job.

The position of the alternator is not great and must lend itself towards making reliability an issue so any suggestions to help with this. In all my other vehicles I have never had to replace an alternator ( or dynamo for that matter)

Advice gratefully received

Ah mine is on the other side but it should be not too tricky to swap out

Swap out and check might be the easiest war forward *thumbup*

What size pulley wheel are you running at the crank ?

Does it look like this 🤔

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/11937/2044304500104067410S600x600Q85.jpg

Hatter are you saying that the alternator may be failing because of the pulley wheel and trigger disc size? My replacement alternator is the same unit as is in there. My theory was that the position of the alt meant that it was to easily soaked when driving in wet weather. I'll check pulley sizes but the set up is tha same as Dave Jackson and rob walker run I think and they seem to run ok without problems, or maybe an alternator every three years is normal?

*arrowup* Knows what he is talking about, so does DJ

I just know that if you have a standard size pulley (almost the same size as the trigger disc, it over revs the alternator)

I think Jason, recently had an issue with this unless the J&B is clouding my memory

Ok I'll check the pulley size tomorrow revs are set for soft cut at 7200 (I'm not a racer and wanted longevity) so I'd be surprised if over revving was the issue. Aside from this is the removal straightforward or are there any tricks I need to know such as engine mount removal or some such?

Thanks for the info so far, it's like an online Haynes manual.

Edited to say I realise that the pulley size will affect the revs received irrespective of engine revs so my first job is to check pulley sizes and come back

Edited by - wild bill on 4 May 2012 19:52:41

In response to Micks BM pulleys are 125 and 64 mm (actually more like 130) taking the wire out of its wrap will be a bigger pain as its wrapped with a few others ☹️ biggest obstacles to removal will be the lower wishbone bolt and the oil cooler pipes which run close by. A voltage check first then well see.

After wrecking mine I did the maths and found that with a engine speed of 8500 rpm my alternator was doing about 23000 rpm when it's rated at 18000 max. Get a piece of string and run it round the crank pulley then do the same on the alternator and work out the alternator RPM at your max engine speed. All the alternators I have seen are 18k max.

Caterham offer a larger pulley for this reason.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 4 May 2012 20:44:46

Jason i was talking about the crank pulley

But yes you could change just the Alternator pulley, but that leaves the water pump over geared and causing cavitation.

I guess option

1) keywayed crank and Cosy Under Pulley for the ultimate fix

2) Change the Alternator Pulley

Sorry Bill, just options to consider

Either way a change of a pulley wheel will help no end

The word worm and can spring to mind 😬 I will be leaving the crank pulley as is as I see no reason to change it. The answer would seem to be changing the alt pulley as per DJ suggestion I imagine a different size belt may be required but I assume I can change out the alternator this weekend then fit the newer pulley when it arrives. Tell you what though this conversation beats clubbing or the pub..........oh hang on *tongue*

can't see the std water pump pulley being a problem as Bill engine is only doing 7200RPM. A new alternator pulley of the correct size should be smokey cool *smokin* IMO

J

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 4 May 2012 22:09:20

WB, According to my records your alternator had the cosworth 64mm pulley fitted. It should be black anodised ali and 64mm diameter. DO NOT loosen the crank pulley or you will loose the valve timing. I cannot help with the cause of the failure, apart from check thoughly all the connections. I have also had a failure my armature had gone open circuit. It is straightforward to remove just a bit of a struggle to loosen the cap allen holding the lower bracket to the block.

Rob