Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series VVC rear "cambelt"

Q Catcher

It is very easy. I marked dots of white Tippex on old belt and both pulleys. Remove one pulley then transfer the Tippex dots to the new belt. Refit using loctite on bolt. I recall each shaft has a different size bolt, so get the right torque for the size you undo.

edit: Looking at the manual, you need a cam pulley holding tool, which is basically like a big pair of scissors, with two adjustable pins on end, that you stick through the holes/spokes of the pulley you want to remove while undoing the bolt in the middle. I bought mine from a car shop or Halfords - not expensive. Details shown in the PDF pages I have for you ....

I have a VVC manual on my PC, give me a few minutes ......

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 2 Mar 2012 18:25:40

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 2 Mar 2012 21:38:28

Sinking feeling time. Locked the engine at the flywheel. Did the tippex dots. Even counted the teeth on the belt. Made a pulley holding tool. Undid the bolt on the inlet side pulley and removed it. Mistake. Wrong pulley. The shaft behind the pulley immediately "pinged" round - but which way did it go? Judging by the keyway, it probably went about 90 degrees clockwise (looking forwards from the back of the engine). Rotating it anti-clockwise, I can take up some slack until I encounter resistance at about the 45 degrees point, after which, I think I can rotate it against a fairly heavy spring tension. So I presume it rotated 90 degrees clockwise, not 270 degrees anti-clockwise, but what if I'm wrong? Will the engine self-destruct?

I've had a look online and found some illustrations of the VVC mechanism and how it works (see: http://www.mgcars.org.uk/news/news174.html). It looks to me like the mechanism has got 360 degree symmetry, i.e. if you accidentally rotate it 360 degrees, it makes no difference. If I'm right, then my earlier question of whether the shaft had rotated 90 degrees clockwise or 270 degrees anticlockwise should be irrelevant. So I've rotated it 90 degrees anticlockwise, picked up my tippex register marks and refitted the belt and pulley. I think the engine will be OK. If anyone knows differently, would they please shout now?!