Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis Metric or imperial ??

Dave Rothwell

Hope this isnt too numpty *wink*

My Superlight is 1999 frame - will this be a metric or imperial chassis ??

Also can you get a SLR cage for this chassis and would the bushings for the side intrusion bars be already on the frame under the skins or would they have to welded on.

Many thanks for any info gratefully received

daveR

• Area Representative

For the current "Caged" SLR cages there are four bushes required on both sides of the car. Two along the sill (the front of which are commonly used for petty struts and Roadsport cages) , and a further two in the chassis rail under the side of the scuttle.

Our 2002 car had the bushes along the sill, but not the ones through the chassis rail.

Edited by - Richard Price on 12 Jan 2012 15:07:03

Dave - I've emailed this to you, but it may be useful to others thinking of going the SLR-cage way:

It's a pretty simple job to check the bosses in place - you need to:

o take a set out (access is probably simplest on the passenger side)

o drill the heads off the rivets from the top edge of the inner sideskin, probably from about the middle of the door-sill

to the underside/back of the scuttle (use a 8-10mm HSS drill on a slowish speed and stop when the rivet head turns)

I then normally use a punch or big nail to knock the rivet through

o pull the inner skin back and look with a torch to see which bolsses are in place

Note - there are several different types of SLR cages (at least the ones I have seen), in how the front mounts are placed.

I have seen:

o front mounts bolt into bosses brazed underneath the top chassis rail (under the scuttle mounting bolts)

o front mounts bolt *through* the top rail - usually with a bracket that feeds through holes in the rail to stop it collapsing

o front mounts that bolt through the scuttle *above* the top rail, into a bracket that bolts onto the top rail - usually using

the scuttle mounting bolts

Are you buying a new cage or looking for a used one? It may be best to sort/buy the cage first and take it from there..

HTH - Simon

• 1 month later...

Quick highjack. I'm new to Caterham having bought a Academy car two weeks ago. Being an Academy it has a full cage. I'm thinking this is a bit intrusive for road which is where the majority of it's time will be. Maybe the odd track day if her in doors approves.

It's a Feb 2006 Roadsport but I'm unsure whether it's a metric or imperial? I understand that this was the year it changed. I'd like to put an FIA roll bar on. Is it a big job change across?