Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pace DS system...sealed or not?

Unclefester

What's the current thinking on this?

Should I be running a crankcase breather to a catch tank, to a small fume filter, or to a pre-set one-way valve which will allow air in but not out?

This is for a PTP Evo 220 'K' 1800 engine with Pace twin scavenge DS system.

Edited by - Unclefester on 4 Jan 2012 12:19:30

I have the Brise kidney tank system, which has two breather pipes.

I have a catch tank with two inlet pipes the same dimensions as the Brise breathers.

The catch tank seems also to have a 'breather' lid, it doesn't seal,, it allows air in or out of the tank via the lid.

From what I can make out, one of the Brise oil tank breather outlets should connect to the FRONT cambox breather, the other Brise outlet should go to the catch tank.

The second (REAR) cambox outlet could then go to the catch tank's other inlet.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the catch tank inhaling unfiltered air through its lid, on tickover, so would I be better running the two pipes into a 'Y' connector so they both go to the same catch tank port, then running a breather tube from the second catchtank port away somewhere to a filter?

• Area Representative

Hi Unclefester

I run one pipe to the cam cover & the other to the catch tank which is vented with a piece of tube from the outlet.

I am also considering having a drain plug fitted to the sump as I have found that around 2.5Ltrs of oil is left in the sump after draining the tank! I have drained this by undoing one of the oil pickup pipes; this is a fiddly job and very easy to strip the thread. As a result, I think a drain plug would a much better solution. The other option is to crank the engine over and pump the oil out via the pickup pipes.

It would of interest to know what other people do.

Regards

John

Tinman, which DS system are you using? Isn't the bottom of your sump pan horizontal? Also what happens with your REAR cambox breather?

Thanks for the advice, now is the time to fit a plug in mine if it hasn't got one (I don't recall) as there's no oil in it yet.

Edited by - Unclefester on 6 Jan 2012 18:43:58

Go for a drain in the tank as I have tried several methods to change the oil and they are all rubbish an a pain. Next is will be buying a suction pump to suck it out of the tank (would be so much easier with a drain at the bottom).

Mine is pace (I organised a bulk buy of them about 6 or 7 years ago) and Neil advised I ran it sealed so I did. I have not had any problems with it. When the engine is switched of you can here the pressure level out which is great fun when people don't know and are confused at MOTs etc.

I'm redesigning breathers for the catch and as presently I get oil all around the area of the tank as the mist exits (planning a sealed tank with an outlet running underneath the car as it can smell at times - not nice)

Kev

• Area Representative

Hi Unclefester

I am using the Pace system with the Brise kidney tank. I use a vacuum pump to drain the tank and I have put a rubber plug on the second cam cover breather to seal it. I am going to take my sump over to an engineering shop to see if a drain plug can be fitted. I found it very surprising to see how much oil is left in the sump when carrying out an oil change.

I ordered my sump to be fitted with a drain plug

In fact all 3 kits were orderd that way, But of course

Pace didn't bother th fit them after nearly a year waiting

So in the end we ordered the Brise tanks with the drain plugs

They remembed to fit the plugs but 2 out of the 3 tanks leaked due to poor welding ! 😬