Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sadly, crash repairs!

Mabbs

Hi BC,

I've just managed to slightly change the shape of my Caterham. I just thought I'd check the general thinking on repairs please.

Through Flux I'm insured with Chaucer. After some head scratching they confirmed not many people can fix it and are arranging for Caterham Midlands to collect it for assessment and hopefully repair.

It sounds a good plan to me so I'm not arguing, would Caterham send to Arch if I've stuffed up the chassis at all? The insurers will check the repair costs are reasonable, fair enough too, but I imagine it won't be cheap if I have bent the poor chassis.

Thanks All

Chris

Thanks CageyH.

Ive calmed down a bit now and also had a chat with Brett at C Midlands and he was v helpful. He also pointed out that they have about 7 Caterham repairs going on at the mo. Makes me feel slightly better!

Chris

You can also use it as an opportunity to add any missing upgrade bits to the chassis, roll cage boses, watts link or the newer front suspension geometry if yours has the older type. Also Arch could fit lower floors, powder coated panels and Im sure otherthings I cant think of ant the moment. The world is your oyster! Every cloud.....

I believe Caterham / Arch are often happy to offset the cost of replacing new old spec parts with upgraded parts ie. new wide track wishbone = cost of replacement bent narrow track wishbone + difference you pay.

Worth looking into and having a chat.

I'll definitely consider some upgrades. Not sure what exactly. The engine is the lamest part, I barely dare say it but it's just a boggo 1400k. It has, or had, wide track front suspension and was generally as I wanted it except for the engine.

If they need to do chassis work then a respray seems worth the thought but what to do engine wise? Hmmm

Cc have already said theyd be happy to look at doing other bits for me.

Edited by - Mabbs on 5 Dec 2011 16:10:01

The easiest way to a quicker engine is a second hand 1.4 supersport or a 1.6k SS. Not expensive, and basically a drop-in.

The best way to a quicker car overall is to upgrade the nut behind the wheel. It will also minimise the chances of having to repair the thing again, should you have a scenery moment.

The CC options will be great and the car will be great fun post work. It's not going to be the cheapest option though.

Thanks BOSS, I'll have a think about engine options.

I agree with driving skills being the biggest factor. This bump was my fault because I hit someone from behind. I may not have done however if he hadn't been driving slightly erratically while talking on his mobile.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to source a second hand 1400 or 1600 SS?

Chris

driving slightly erratically while talking on his mobile

presume no independent witness to phone use , not sure if a complaint to police would trigger a search of phone records, or has the other driver admitted responsibility

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 5 Dec 2011 22:08:11

No other witness of any kind. As always there were a few factors involved. I have to face the fact though that I didn't stop in time. His manoeuvre was slightly unpredictable but that's what the stopping distance should cover. More of a frustration that I knew he was on his phone.

I am almost certain if my tyres we not icy cold from the garage and just half a mile into a blat, I'd have stopped fine.

It was quite low speed and no one hurt. The usual pride dent after almost twenty years of rear wheel drive with no dents or points. ☹️

Further to that, there was no independent record of the exact time of the bump, therefore I suspect a phone record wouldn't help much.

Edited by - Mabbs on 6 Dec 2011 07:02:38

Edited by - Mabbs on 6 Dec 2011 07:04:03

Richy,

The good news, if they're short of space, is that mine takes up a little less space than it did before! Actually they're collecting her tomorrow. I've had a better look, the chassis may be ok. The ball joint on the upper wishbone is bent back. Looks like the offside wheel took most of the force. It looks as if the lower wishbone, where it bolts to the chassis on it's leading edge seems to be knocked. A few degrees out of alignment. That seems to be the only damage that may have affected he chassis.

Well if the job is simple then there's less scope for mods. Hmm.

BOSS

That does sound a good value if an engine can be had for that sort of money. The only snag might be co ordinating a purchase with delivery and repairs. I'll have at think when the repair has been assessed.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris

Edited by - Mabbs on 6 Dec 2011 14:42:07

Edited by - Mabbs on 6 Dec 2011 14:42:45

One thing to be aware of - and to check regularly with Caterham Midlands - is when they intend to take the car down to Arch. When mine was in several years ago, I was surprised to find out that they hadn't taken it down there for a month or so as they were waiting for Arch to complete a repair on another vehicle - and they wanted to dovetail my delivery and the other collection into one trip.

I was also somewhat surprised to receive a delivery charge to return the vehicle to myself - thinking that it had been quoted for in the original damage assessment report...

Both were understandable (I guess) but not well communicated at the time.

WRT the Arch/CC interface do bear in mind that neither are huge places. Arch in particular is just an industrial unit and they only have 2 or 3 jigs for Caterham chassis. They do have other work going on, and when the jigs are full of cars your car isn't getting dealt with.

I do think it's naughty though that CC are delaying deliveries so they can dovetail them and get a backload without letting on. If they are doing this, they should be upfront about it.