Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Going slightly retro: Bike Engine?

SiCrad

...anything that is a one off is likely to be costly, time consuming and result in more time off the road though. If your a Honda man perhaps arch motors still have the jigs to make some blackbird engine mounts etc. Engine off fleabay for circa 600 quid, dry sump and reverser off the shelf from nova, that and a few other bits and bobs and your away *smile*

I think bike engined caterhams are cheap once you've got one installed or buy complete but i suspect it's quite an expensive job to convert from a car engine , just as it is expensive to convert a k into a duratec.

The engine is relatively cheap on a blade or blackbird as you say but once you add £700-00 for a reverser, £ 1200 to £1500 for a dry sump, special props, bespoke exhaust , gear linkage, lectrics, mounts for engine, radiator, etc etc it soon mounts up. Not to mention a £1500 Nova gear set which you'll surely need ( apart from Busa) . I suppose though you have your car engine and gearbox to sell in part ex .

I'd buy one already done.

Brilliant once you have one though.

Cheers Neil

PS i keep wondering about getting my Blackbird turbo charged by the nice chaps at Holeshot but at present the wife's finding other avenues for my spare cash!!

260 bhp in a 430 kg car does sound fun though. *rolleyes*

If your a Honda man perhaps arch motors still have the jigs to make some blackbird engine mounts etc. Engine off fleabay for circa 600 quid, dry sump and reverser off the shelf from nova, that and a few other bits and bobs and your away

From Nova themselves:

We do not have a full parts list for the Blackbird as it went out of production a long time ago ...

They're still selling the 'box, though.

Caterham had a clearout of Blackbird dry sump parts a while back. Complete dry sumps do come up on the second hand market from time to time, too.

Quoting Blue-Lines: 
...anything that is a one off is likely to be costly, time consuming and result in more time off the road though. If your a Honda man perhaps arch motors still have the jigs to make some blackbird engine mounts etc. Engine off fleabay for circa 600 quid, dry sump and reverser off the shelf from nova, that and a few other bits and bobs and your away *smile*

I reckon I'm up to about £4,000 so far. The engine is in and running, so is the new diff and propshaft, and all the electrics work. I may yet fork out for a new floor and tunnel, and I will probably pay someone to make a nice-looking hole in the bonnet.

No reverse box and no drysump (I will be paying for a baffled one however) - one of the reasons for choosing the R1 was that it is used in lots of sidecar racing outfits and doesn't need a drysump.

Edited by - charlie_pank on 6 Dec 2011 11:42:08

What differential final drive ratio are you BEC owners running please ?

Also what use does your car get please (sprint/ hillclimb, circuit racing, road ?)

I am interested in circuit racing use.

Many thanks

Steve

Many thanks Neilg - very useful info.

Robmar has told me he uses a 3.14 with his 'Busa and tops out around 128 mph - which would be somewhere like Snett or Silverstone I guess.

Any others please ?

Thanks

Steve

Engine

ECU

Wiring loom

Diff

Propshaft

Sprocket convertor

Gearshift-mechanism

Clutch & Accel cables

Exhaust manifold

Rev counter

Plumbing

Sandwich plate for oil pressure & temp gauges

Baffled sump

New Dashboard?

I also found I needed a new A-frame (mine was bent and rusty) and I may yet decide on a new floor.