Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT Question

alcal

It may be a load of scaremongering and I'm opening a can of worms but...

it appears that from 1st January 2012 the MOT is getting a little bit silly.

I recently had an MOT on one of my cars and was informed by the garage owner that things are changing in 2012 and that if there were any warning lights showing it would constitute a fail. (mentioned to me as I have a constant lamp waring showing as, after fitting air-horns, the voltage change was enough to hoodwink the warning system).

There are many discussions about the coming regs. but here is one link to one such discussion thread MOT thread

It may also be of interest to owners with removable steering wheels, that if a steering lock is fitted to the vehicle, then it must operate...

(don't shoot the messenger...) *mad*

New MOT regs come into force on 1st Jan

However will be advisory only for first 3 mths So you will be advised that the car would have failed but given a pass [only if failure is on the new points]

After 1st April any failure will be an actual fail.

Be very careful on earlier caterhams the rear fog light sw is illuminated by side lamp cct This will be a fail as it should only illuminate when operated.Same will apply for Hazards.

Gear box reversing light sw will not need a warning light [all caterhams I believe] however if your box sw has failed and youve replaced it with a sw it will also need a warning light.

Fortunatly we dont have erg fault lights or air bag lights but look out for problems with your tintop. 😬 😬

Thanks all.Passed the MOT with no comment about the hazards switch. I think I had a fail for this some years ago as I found the cheapo temporary illuminated switch I used to get around this at the bottom of a tool box (not a caterham).