Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Morgan not starting

johnpbransfield

My brother in laws Morgan has just arrived back from Dubai after eight weeks on the high seas. The battery was completely flat, but is now charged up. All the electrics work, but on trying to start it all he gets is a "click" no starter motor turning. I have told him to put it in gear and rock back and forth, but no joy. Your thoughts as to the problem or what to try would be most appreciated as always. It looks a very nice car but appears massive against the "7" with plenty of room to swing a cat and bring the kitchen sink.....I prefer the "7" *thumbup*

Have you checked the battery condition on a multimeter? even though it appears charged up it may be too knackered once the starter tries to pull all the juice out of it... also check all earth connections as high resistance there could also reduce the output from battery to starter *wink*

Quoting peterg: 
Have you checked the battery condition on a multimeter? even though it appears charged up it may be too knackered once the starter tries to pull all the juice out of it... also check all earth connections as high resistance there could also reduce the output from battery to starter *wink*

My money is on this. A battery which has been deep discharged then re-charged often fails- It'll carry a surface charge so the voltmeter will show ~12v, but as soon as you try to draw current it dies.

EDIT: P.S. Halfords have a Bosch battery testin tool behind their parts desk and will test the battery for free *thumbup*

Edited by - James_Russell on 18 Oct 2011 12:36:07

• Area Representative

John

Could be battery as suggested - try jump leads from a good battery.

Could also be a bad connection from exposure to sea air. I'd clean all battery and starter terminals for starters (including earths).

Thanks for all the input. He has tried jump starting from the tin top but to no avail, not even a "click" now. I have told him to sand / emery cloth battery / starter motor connections as per your posting Paul. Will wait and see what tomorrow brings. It has a 3.5 V6 engine so I suppose it will need some "oomph"to start it 😳

Quoting JOHN BRANSFIELD: 
Thanks for all the input. He has tried jump starting from the tin top but to no avail, not even a "click" now. I have told him to sand / emery cloth battery / starter motor connections as per your posting Paul. Will wait and see what tomorrow brings. It has a 3.5 V6 engine so I suppose it will need some "oomph"to start it 😳

If it has 3.5 litre engine it's more likely to be the plus8 fitted with the venerable Rover V8 lump which will sound great when you eventualy get it started. Morgans & especially the wide bodied plus 8 do look huge next to a caterham (even an SV 😳) & they are rather scary on twisty roads *eek* Some while ago I was taken for a blat in a plus 4 (2litre rover) which pulled well in a straight line & then we got to bumpy bend & I thought we were going to crash *eek*