Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Near-ditch experience (another wheel/tyre thread)

gundersen

Quoting gundersen: 
Was that also with the CR500 tyres?

Yes, which had made the ride height far too low, so I adjusted the ride height and corner weights to suit. Philip has another set with ZZRs too.

I use 70 profile AO21Rs and am also happy with them for the road and the wet.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran on 15" for a while then changed to 13". One of th best changes I have made. 021 good all round tire but prefer the Toyo 888 and really only use the S3 CATERHAM in the dry. Have not experienced any real ground clearance issues; just have to be a little careful sometimes. Using 225 front and 140 rear springs so does not bottom out.

I now run on 13 inch rims..6 inch wide fronts and 8 inch back shod with R 888 tyres.

The 205 60 rear tyres have nearly the same radius as the 185 60 14's I run on for many miles.

I have adjustable platform shocks and run about 15-20mm rake and the balance is just fine....evn with a VX lump in the front.

John

I've seen a few sv's on 13's for day to day. You just need to make sure it looks right, and that will probably mean having to change your wings and stays at the front, if you're currently on the 16's.

I run mine n 16's for the road, but ditched the zz1's years ago in favour of the zz3. I have a second set of 16's with stunners as per Ric and they are equally as good.

I only run my 13's on track.

Just need to be very aware of light car on damp road, pretty much irrespective of tyre choice needs a lot more respect than a tin top on similar tyres.

Gundersen, get along and see RJ. He will be best placed to advise on wing stays etc. you could go for the 15's as have already been mentioned and won't need to change things. The 15's look good, do improve the handling a little and have cr500 tyres available too...

RJ is your man to help / advise out in Denmark *thumbup*

Bo,

You'll laugh when you hear what my next step in that case is *evil*

They'll have a little of their own medicine shortly.

Anyway having to visit me for a test would in fact be an acceptable excuse for getting a set of temp plates. *cool*

280 miles? gunderson must be near the german border, as well as across one expensive toll bridge.

gunderson, I have run an S3 Seven for ten years or so on pretty much nothing but CR500s on 13" wheels, 6" fron 8" rears. admitedly more horsepower. In the wet as has been said, drive like on ice.

The A021s are a great all round tyre and especially good on long tours, but I would never have them because their advantages compromise their effectiveness in the dry.

Big wheels I would not have because of the increase in unsprung weight, which is a major advantage of the CR500 tyre, it is lighter than all the others having been designed as I understand it specally for a Seven. It is also SuperSoft as standard whereas things like the 888s have to be specified as such or you'l get "medium".

As far as I am concerned anything but CR500 is a compromise.

Ground clearance: are you dry sump or wet?

Either way you can I gather increase your ride height in other ways (shocks).

Learn your car's clearance and how to drive to it.

It has taken me ten years to break an engine mounting possibly due to groundings although more likely due to one big one recently (long story) when no amount of ride height would have been any good.

I don't do tracks, road only. I am interested to see how many don't use 13" on the road because of ride height, I was not aware of this.

Denmark's roads are pretty good and not particularly bumpy as far as I recall from last year.. despite my camping gear (Regin...).

Hi anthonym *wavey*

Thank you for the feeback, much appreciated!

I have adjustable shocks, so it should be possible to get a good ride height *smile*

With Denmark being a very small country, you cant get much future away from each other than Regin and I...

@Mav: Super picture, tyres look the the part on there!

• 4 weeks later...

I actually ended up going to Regin to test a set of 13" wheels...it was a refreshing ride *biggrin*

After the trip I ordered a set of 13" with CR500 tyres from Caterham along with a set of race wingstays. Darren was very helpful all the way through, and topped it all off by shipping the tyres 1.5 hours after I made the order 😶‍🌫️

I was under the assumption (and we all know what they say about those) that I could use the current cycle wings with the new wingstays, unfortunately the previous owner was so kind as to expoy the wings onto the wingstays, so they are not going anywhere...guess I just got a reason for buying a new set of race wings *wink*

• 6 months later...

Since you all where so helpful guiding my tyre purchase, I thought that I would round it up now that I have mounted the new tyres *smile*

I ended up buying 13" anthracite wheels with CR500 tyres direct from Caterham, 6" fronts and 8" backs just for the looks *smokin* I also added the race wingstays and wings.

I must say that I am amazed by the change it has done to the car...it is incredible how much better it feels and behaves. I feel much more "connected" with the car (this is beginning to sound like a dating add *confused*). Before it felt a bit like the tin-top without servo steering, now it feels like a cart. Also the gears seem to fit better, before I often dropped it going from first into second. But the lower gearing has cured that. Also the annoying habit of kangarooing at low speeds is almost gone.

When I got in from my first test drive after fitting the wheels the wife commented that I looked happier than I had done in a long time 😬

I should have done this a long time ago, but I thought that I would run down the old tyres first, but seeing how little thread a trackday took out of them that was not going to happen.

Regarding looks, I don't think the 13" looks all that misplaced on an SV:

Before: side front

After: side front

So thanks for all the help, as you might have guessed I am VERY happy with the result 😬

*arrowup* Good Man *wink*

Unless you change the wheels John (which I wouldn't as yet more expense) the yoko AO21 will be spot on for you. Doesn't have the ultimate dry grip of the 48's but a better tyre in the wet & will last longer. Just changed my rears after a little over 10k miles & still OK on the front for a while longer.

Don't worry what the tread pattern looks like...it's more important that the tyre works.

Prepare for a lot more stones to be flung up as the tyres do seem to get sticky.