Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AO21r Alternatives

Steve-B

Hi,

For next year's GOME rallye, we're doing 7,000km (4,000mi) from London -> Athens.

This presents a bit of a tyre conundrum: AO21's driven as they should be driven won't last that far, 48's durn sure won't last that far as 32's have been problematic at similar distances.

So I am looking at alternatives:

--> need to be able to handle a W-I-D-E array of weather and road surfaces.

--> need to be able to last 10,000km (figure Monza -> London)

--> be progressive when they slip, E.G., not just traction -- Feck me no traction!

Last of course need to be affordable....and in 185X60x13 or 14...

Suggestions welcome!

I looked at 539's but Alan Lynch used to have them on his and hated them -- too hard. Given the GOME 2012 rallye is a regularity vs. time trial it will be a bit less competitive but still it's a lot of distance to cover. I can waste a set of 48's on my rear in 2,000 miles so I've got to figure this one out....

I've got to get in a 210Bhp car 10,000km/6,500mi from them..

Anyone tried Michelin PilotSport PS2's? They seem to come in a variety of compounds and come on Carreras.....

I guess this is going to be a hard nut to crack? I can't easily ship tyres to the other end of the rallye to change there.

I have now done several hundred miles on my Toyo proxes T1 R's and they feel very similar to the AO21's I had several years ago. Been out in very heavy rain with no problems and grip will in dry.

Cannot really cooment if they will last 4000 miles but I would be very surprised if they did not. Ask Ozzy for his views on them he has done more miles than me and has certainly tested them at speed 😬

Only issue will size as 15in is I think the smallest they do.

Alan

Another vote for CR500's, I've just done 3500+ miles around Europe at a "reasonable" pace and my CR500's are barely worn, the rears had already done a Scotland trip last year so they are on at least 5000 miles and the fronts have got lots of life left in them.

Before anyone says I'm not trying hard enough you might want to talk to the cossie turbo Dax owner that struggled to keep up last week 😳

However you must get the camber and alignment correct other wise they will wear quickly, also it's worth keeping a regular eye on tyre pressures if you are going up and down the mountains.

Cheers

Rob

Steve

noticed no ones mentioned the Kumhos ?

I ran them on my car last year , did 3700 miles of (various driving styles ) still had around 1000 miles left in them 😬 hard compound for the usage your looking at I would have thought *thumbup* just been on lladow track day and they've still got some road miles in them

Maybe worth looking at and they're a good all rounder wet/dry performance as good easily as 21's

HTH

If Rob can make a set of tyres last 6K and I've done a GOME rallye with him *eek* then there's a pretty good chance that we'd be OK. Having never driven on CR500's I'm just don't know how they could work out, but realistically cannot afford 2 sets of tyres to find out.

I should have added I have a set of 14" and 13" Minilites at home, so I can fairly well pick which tyre which helps. I'd guess 185x60xR14 front and 205x60xR14 rear -- does that make sense?

My only aversions to CR500's firstly is price, and second I'll have to rebalance the chassis weights. Having been on 48's for the last 5 years since spending 6 years on 21's I've loved and hated the 48's depending on the weather so that's a critical one.

As SWMBO is the Navigatrix for the rallye, I've got to protect her first, me second, and the car last.

I really appreciate all the feedback, it's the jump of +£60 more/corner that's really got me thinking now. Oh, and the winter list of things to do!

Keep em coming....

Edited by - Steve-B on 12 Sep 2011 17:22:53

CR500's are 175/55 front and 205/55 rear so you'll need to bump the ride height up a bit to compensate. In terms of use they work very well in all conditions, certainly a lot better than 48/32's in the wet.

I think the key thing is that they are a tyre designed for a light weight car where as a lot of the alternatives are not.

Just hope they don't get snow as they don't really like snow very much 😳

They will feel different to 21's so if you go the CR500 route it would be worth getting them before hand.