Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Novice question – which class?

James7

Having owned my 7 for nearly a year and done a couple of track days with her, I may have a go at sprint / hillclimbing at some point, probably not next year, but possibly the one following.

I’ve had a Look at the 2011 Lotus 7 Club Speed Championship Regulations and am trying to work out what class I’d fall into and what affect any current (mainly reversible if necessary) or possible future mods may have on the class the car would be eligible for. I'd be grateful for any advice.

I don’t necessarily think I’d be fighting it out for the lead in a class, but guess it might be better to compete in a class on a relatively level playing field rather than to have a minor modification move you up against more powerful machinery!

My car is a 2004 1.6K ex-Academy. With the only current mods being a Powerspeed 4-2-1 exhaust, 52mm throttle body and Yokohama A048 tyres and Caterham race springs with the standard Bilstein adjustable platforms.

Reference is made in the Regulations to ‘Caterham Sevens which fully comply with the current technical specification for the ‘2011 Caterham Graduates Championship’ – ‘Caterham Mega-Graduates Class’ specification cars only. Cars must fully meet the specification relevant for engine type and year of construction. No further modifications are permitted.’

Would this affect me? Where might I find details of the regs for a K series car such as mine if so?

Many thanks

James

Edited by - James7 on 31 Aug 2011 23:48:39

• Area Representative

Hi James,

As your car stands, you'd be in class three. Mainly because of your tyres (AO48's are list 1b tyres).Your car is really neither one nor the other.

The car would have been ideal for class one, if it were fitted with list 1a tyres.

I see the powerspeed exhaust as the biggest stumbing block. All of the graduates spec cars run the standard short four branch exhaust. Additionally, the 52mm TB would not be allowed (but then its much easier to swap the TB than the exhaust!).

In my opinion, the race springs are not ideal. They're a bit too stiff. I run standard springs and dampers on my own car. In particular, the race rears give very poor traction (two tenths off the line may make a place or two difference!).

However, don't get to concerned about the specification of the car as it stands. If I were you, then I'd come along and have a go. If you like it, then think about altering the car to suit.

It's very easy to think that you need to have this or that "upgrade" to the car, but, in reality, the driver makes a much bigger impact than an upgrade or two.

In think your both correct in your answers BUT I believe that the exhaust and throttle body would take the car over the 125bhp threshold that is also in the regs.

It would also fall outside of the spec that we generally accept as "correct" for that class.

The reference to the Current Spec Accadamy cars is just that, the current Sigma cars should be exactly as raced.

I do fall exactly where Richard has pointed you though - leave the car where it is and come and have a go to see if you like it before spending money.

His advice is spot on.

There will be an "Intro to Sprinting" day in Spring 2012 so watch out for the booking forms in LF and posts on here.

Many thanks to all for your information and advice. *smile*

Do you know where the Intro to Sprinting day will be held Simon? I’m sure that I’ll be very tempted by that!

Richard, I’m very interested to hear your opinion on the race springs (in many ways glad). They were fitted when I bought the car and I do find them too stiff on the road, both bouncing the car around and losing traction on even mildly bumpy roads. In these conditions I’m sure softer springs would be better. I believe that the race springs are 250lbs/in front and 215 lbs/in rear, compared to 150 lbs/in front and progressive rear for the standard setup. I’ve been planning to ask the question in Techtalk (and might yet do so) but hadn’t really thought about implications for sprint class.

Having done some reading up in the archives, the options I've been considering are:

1. Standard springs front and rear;

2. Keep the Race fronts and fit standard progressive rears;

3. Keep the Race fronts and fit Caterham 21 progressive rear springs(Part 24076 - 30% stiffer than standard progressives)

4. Fit 170lbs/in fronts (Part 75517) and fit Caterham 21 progressive rear springs.

Any thoughts on how these options would affect the class and the general ride / handling compromise on both road and track?

The Throttle body could be swapped back in no time and some list 1a tyres shouldn’t be too expensive. The exhaust a little more tricky and there looks to be some debate on legality for class1 so I guess a definitive answer on this would be ideal. To be honest I’d be surprised if even both throttle body and exhaust combined would push it over 125bhp although I could be wrong. Aren’t they meant to be 115-120bhp as standard?

I take the point about coming along and having a go first and foremost though and will aim to do this but would like to do something about the springs in any case.

Cheers

James

• Area Representative

James,

Yes, If the're Caterham race springs, then yes, 250 front and 215 rear.

If they're fitted to standard dampers, then those springs will also be under damped!

Standard springs are indeed 150 front and progresive rears. The rears are rated 110, then 130, then 200. However, you can almost discount the 200 part because that is only applicable in extream bump. Remember, the job of the damper is to control the spring. If you have stiffer springs, you need stiffer dampers to control them.

I run our car (in class three) on standard springs and dampers. They give a good ride on the road, and our (my son and I share my car) results would suggest that this set up works reasonably well on sprints and hillclimbs *smile*

The only restrictions that there are on suspension, are that dampers with independent bump and rebound adjustment are only allowed in classes 5 and 6. Other than that, suspension is free. Single adjustable dampers are allowed if you wish, but there is little wrong with standard Bilsteins. They're very good dampers!

I am running an ex Academy/Roadsport A spec car in class 3 this year. Basically my car is a class 1 car but I chose to run sticky 1b tyres so that puts me in class 3.

I only have 120bhp from my standard academy 1.6 K Series engine, I don't have an LSD or a 6 speed box. I have done 3 events so far this year and have consistently been 4 to 5 seconds slower than the fastest cars in class 3. This is partly down to me needing to improve my driving skills but mostly because I haven't got the right car.

Rather than go to class 1 on list 1a tyres and rather than spend money inproving the car to match class 3 performance I'll use this year as a trial and then look into selling this car and buying a ready done car whether that be for class 3, 4 or 5. That's the plan anyway!

Oli