Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repair query following "little off" at Brands

Graham King

Folks, at the Brands trackday yesterday I had a "little off" that resulted in going backwards into safety barrier just after Druids, so it was at a fairly low speed but still managed to remove the passenger rear wheel arch and damage the rear skin. The chassis and drive components all seem fine, I drove back to the pits, but obviously need checking. My real question is with respect to the skin, is the skin for the & all one piece or is it in sections, the back will need replacing I suspect, but does this mean a whole new skin?

I will need a proper quote but just trying to prepare myself for the size of bill ☹️

Thanks.

Graham.

Jez, thanks for that, they are indeed a lot closer than Arch and guess they must have done quite a few of these in their time.

I need to lash it back together somehow (gaffer tape and cable ties) so that it is driveable again and get an assessment of the damage.

Graham.

Rear wings attach to both the rear and side skins - some are nut and bolt and others use rivnuts (because they are behind the inside skin of the cockpit. Not too hard to make repairs though - it the existing holes are really damaged you can drill some new ones close to them and borrow a rivnut tool to do the job *thumbup*

Dave, is that car in your kitchen? *eek*

Quoting Graham King: 
I need to lash it back together somehow (gaffer tape and cable ties) so that it is driveable again and get an assessment of the damage.
http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/49471/2075312320056735842S600x600Q85.jpg

That survived the trip home from Monaco *smokin*

Speaking of dirty 7's, Have you cleaned yours off since your off track gardening? 😬

That was in the last house. She only got mad when I used the diswasher to clean out and degrease the drysump bellhousing. *eek*

Tom

Edited by - TomGaval on 19 Aug 2011 19:26:03

My car had this sort of damage from racing. Of course I didn't repair it, though I did replace the wing and fit plastic bolts. IME if the skins are damaged you can planish them flat and redrill holes nearby, when the wing is back on the other holes are invisible.

If the dent isn't too bad and/or your standards are as low as mine a local dent-away outfit might get a decent result.

You will be able to knock the holes flat on the sides and put new rivnuts in. I reckon there are 4 or 5 repairs possible before you need to drill new holes. I speak from close racing experience!

From a "little off" I'm sure you won't have to do anything more, unless you're a polisher and need to know it's perfect, even where you can't see it.

Jez