Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ignition question, please help!

PSJ

Ok looking at buying a new lumenition ignition for my 1979 Caterham/Lotus super 7, seing as my current one has gone doolally.

There are a few on eBay but I'm confused to which one I need? Do I need the FK116 model?? Will a slightly different FK model not work etc?

will this work? (looks the same?)

Bit of advice would be great *smile*

Thanks, Piers.

Edited by - PSJ on 8 Aug 2011 20:43:08

Cheers guys, I'm at abit of a loose end at what options best. Cars not reliable enough to use with current ignition and I was planning on upgrading the whole thing to 3D ignition. But can't affor that just yet.

So I have a few options,

- find a 2nd hand temporary lumenition (with trigger switch), easy plug in and play for now,

- just replace it with a brand new (older type - non 3D) ignition like aldon above and forget the 3D route all together,

- just wait,save and miss this months Curborough event ☹️ to get a 3D ignition.

Spoke to Redline and they say the lumenition has a common fault of the trigger switch going. I think that is what has happened to mine.

Graham - how easy is it to get a trigger switch? How much were u thinking etc?

Jonathan - would this solve my problem as in the trigger switch which may have gone :S also, how much etc?

Piers.

Edited by - PSJ on 10 Aug 2011 15:58:52

Edited by - PSJ on 10 Aug 2011 16:01:03

The entire kit from Trigger Wheels comes in at £338 including the trigger wheel and USB adapter for programming lead.

The trigger wheel is £38.

So I would be looking at £200 including P&P to the UK for the following:

- Megajolt ECU

- Coil pack

- Crank sensor

- Weber Throttle Position Sensor

- EDIS Ignition module

- Universal crank sensor bracket

- Coil pack bracket

- Loom from Caterham (may need continuity checks)

- Set of 8mm silicone spark plug leads

- Complete with software and mapping cable to allow you to tune the system and maps for a wide range of engines

- USB Adapter

Cheers,

Graham

Graham - just a couple questions regarding the MJ.

Barr the trigger wheel, all is there, i wont need anything else to complete this MJ ignition? just fit it, set it up and away i go happy days!?

also, im running on dellortos with my twincam. i see its a 'Weber Throttle Position Sensor' you have, will this not fit my dellortos?

Thanks, Piers.

• Area Representative

Hi Piers,

If you really are strapped for cash at the moment then why not just revert back to a standard set of points until you have saved enough for your 3D conversion?

The lumenition system isn't terribly sophisticated it just gives an electronic switch for the spark rather than a mechanical one.

Points would be cheap and reliable in the short term.....

All the best

Richard

PSJ,

I have no knowledge of Dellorto's so cannot say if the TPS will fit - personally I would doubt it.

With the exception of the trigger wheel (which is currently Loctite'd to my crankshaft pulley), it is a complete kit. The wiring loom will need a continuity check in case any of the connections broke as I was pulling it through bulkheads.

Regards

Graham