Click here if you are having website access problems ×

steering wheel shake at aroung 60mph upwards?

zetec

Wheel bearings. Mind you, I have a vibration north of 90 that I haven't cured yet. I think it's the off side front, but the vibration feels like its from the rear ...

Jez

Track only, before anyone points out that I've admitted to breaking the NSL. I don't drive it on the road at the moment ...

Did they mount the wheels on the balancing machine using a cone through the centre hole or did they mount them using a stud plate? I had a similar problem and in my case it was resolved by balancing the wheels using a suitable stud plate because the centre holes were slightly offset. Most tyre fitters tend to use the cone by default because it is quicker.

Jack front end up and check -

1. using a hand on top of wheel and under wheel as best you can - check top and bottom play - then do it again with someone pressing foot brake

2. using hand at rear of wheel and at front of wheel check side to side play - again now do it with someone pressing the foot brake

ANY PLAY?

Spin the wheel and listen for any deep rumble.......does the wheel spin free - are there any click noises from the very centre

Spin wheel while looking at the flat surface of the tread is there any course changes in the tread uniform pattern - you are looking for de lamination of the tyre - it may only be slight - also look for any raised portion of tread by spinning wheel and looking down from above use a white piece of paper under the wheel on the floor (see it better like this) - assuming you have a front cycle wing - you are looking for bulges - have you locked up recently? - look for flat spots on the tyre in the same way.

Quoting zetec: 
I think on one wheel I do, I shall check

IF you do the balnce machine operator is a LAZY GIT and tell him to do it again as its done WRONG *thumbdown*

You should only have weights in one place.........if done on a decent machine and done by a conscientious operator that is...

This might sound a bit silly, but are you using lock nuts? I found an improvement in mine when I removed the "heavy" splined typed locking wheel nuts. And again, believe it or not, when someone nicked my chromed brass valve caps. 😳

Don't know how to do a link but if you do a search this was a point for discussion a few years back. Think its a matter of checking and elimination. Had the same twice, replacing the track rod ends seemed to fix it the first time. Second time one of the nose cone fasteners had been damaged and did not fasten, at 60 ish this semed to precipitate some front end vibration. I think this is one manifestation with various possible causes.