Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Those daytime running lights...

JetSepter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahmed, I hope the holiday is going well and congratulation son getting there in the end.

I think that your black tape is on the wrong side of your headlights (assuming that those are your British, RHD headlights). My headlights are still RHD and are taped on the other side.

Thank you Clousta.....

2 things regarding the headlight:

A. Side of the black tape: thought the idea is to protect the incoming traffic being dazzled by my beam, therefore, the black tape should be at the side of the incoming traffic...

B. Do you do it to one or both headlights: thought I only need to cover the headlight near to the incoming traffic (i.e. the passenger's side in our British RHD cars. BUT, some people on the ferry said it has to be done to both headlights - I didn't want to take any chance of the French police stopping me, therefore, I did it to both sides)

Jetsepter, sorry for the deviation from the main topic.....

Tim,

thanks for the image. That's what I have but have used white pvc insulating tape (I have stacks from gliding. It seals the wing gaps after assembly). Last week it stayed on for the MOT back in UK and passed.

Ahmed,

Your photo did have me thinking about it for a moment. To visualise what happens the light from the bulb goes backwards to the reflector. So any light on the LHS of the car (looking forwards) comes from the RHS of the reflector. The other side of the reflector can't get any light on to the LHS because of the bowl shape of the reflector.

Anyway you fooled the gendarmes. *cool*

Enjoy your holiday. Its damp, dull and cold in Brussels this morning and work beckons so it must be brilliant where you are. 🙆🏻

Just back from holiday and saw this thread. Have used DLR for about a year, Philips ones. Don't understand the complecated glue bit, just made 2 aluminium strips for each to go round the horizontal head light bar and screwed them onto the back of the DLR where studs were in place. Painted the strips black so you do not see them and is very quick and neat.

As said, they switch on and off automatically and are far more visable than headlights in the day. Guy at the quivalent of your MOT was full of approval.

Similarly I have had my DRLs for past 3 years. They a Hella LED DRL properly wired in so come on with ignition and switch off when headlights switched on. All the relays for this came in the kit.

Mine are simply mounted on an L bracket below the front upper wishbone mount side skin cut outs. Nicely visible!

• 2 weeks later...

Q102 - checked again this evening in the dark on the way back from the North Kent meet at The Plough. In fact the DRLs dim, rather than go out, when the normal lights are switched on, so they act as outer marker/side lights. Quite useful, really.

Looking forward to seeing Peter Clarke's piccies of his set up. Space Cadet ditto?

• Area Representative

Quoting JetSepter: 
. . . Looking forward to seeing Peter Clarke's piccies of his set up. Space Cadet ditto? . . .

Peter sent me pics of his set up last week (as links below); I'm sure he won't mind me hosting them on Flickr for him, as he said he has no photo site.

Peter Clarke's DRL set up

Peter Clarke's DRL set up (close up)

Edited by - gileshudson on 3 Aug 2011 08:02:13

They might improve the looks and value of some other 7 type vehicles and now see said vehicle has "high level "rear indicators as well !!! What next-dayglo strip style mudflaps. All just looks tacky to me.

Richard

Peter,

did you have them fitted when we did the 'Smugglers blat' with Bruno last year? I can't remember them.

Have you found them useful in ensuring that your typical Belgian driver actually sees you? I have been driving with my headlamps since I got the Seven on but I do recognise that it is consuming quite a bit of power. However, they didn't stop a berk pulling out to overtake a parked car on the other side of the road and almost, so close, swiping one of my clamshell wings when driving in Hampshire on Sunday .

In picture 2 is the mounting strip that is wrapped around the horizontal part of the the headlamp mounting stanchion or is there another bracket fitted? I can see a bolt mounted and metal strip mounted to what I believe is the headlamp mount or is that something else? You will recall that I have the older style set up so I may have to adapt the mounting arrangements.

Edited by - Clousta on 3 Aug 2011 18:05:52

No, they were not fitted on the blat last year, did it a little after. Defence against the typical Belgium driver!!!??? I will not comment in writing! However when rapidly coming up from behind they do seem to move over a bit and presume it is the lights. As in the picture, that is what they see and it seems quite effective, much much better than headlights.

Inner mounting is equivalent to an inverted P clip clamping on the bar annd bolted directly into the DRL. Outer is a to a rivnut, as you say into the headlamp bracket. Part weight is so small does not need anything very strong. Also this position is witin the legal requirements. Used the philips ones as small, neat and a complete package. As you say headlights consume a lot of power, I use a Varley red top 25, no issue so far after 4 years. Have more pictures or we can visit.

Peter

Not sure about the look - would like to see in the metal before judging.

Certainly if there is going to be illumination-inflation with all normal cars having these running lights then I think the safety benefit of having headlights on during the day in a caterham will diminsh and I'd be tempted to fit some.