Click here if you are having website access problems ×

re: terminal k-click?

Paul_Hedley

My car has been suffering for a while from the well documented k-click, and the addition of a heatshield hasn't helped. This morning, it got worse. A lot worse. On getting the car out, the starter engaged, engine turned over, but didn't start. Nothing terribly new there - it doesn't always start first time. However, on releasing the key from the ignition position, the starter (at least I assume the starter) kept on spinning, seemingly freely and unengaged. Worse still, I couldn't stop it, except by taking out the battery master switch. On re-inserting the BMS, it starts spinning again. Not sure what to do about that. Might this be a relay problem?

Clearly it needs looking at by someone who has rather more technical knowledge than I have, and being not too far away from Millwood I will probably take it there (they are suggesting a Bosch starter motor to replace the OEM one - I know others here recommend the Brise item). However, my problem is how. If I can't stop the starter spinning, I can't even jump/bump start the car to drive it there. I may be able to borrow a trailer, but unless said trailer has a winch, getting it onto the trailer with muscle alone doesn't sound like much fun.

Any ideas (on either problem) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Either the relay or the solenoid is jammed on, I suppose. Disconnect the small wire on the front of the solenoid (it's just a push connector normally). If the motor still spins, your solenoid is stuck. If it doesn't, your relay is stuck (which would be a lot cheaper - just apply the relay bypass mod).

Your click sounds a little different from the standard, however .....

I had the relay mod fitted and the Bosch starter

Both fitted my cater ham midlands

The mod is a non standard solution!

The Bosch starter is a standard replacement item

Not had any problems since but also keep the battery on a conditioner when not being used

Thanks for this - useful feedback on the Bosch in particular.

Battery conditioner is tricky, as I have no power in my garage. Haven't quite sorted a way to hook up to my solar panel lighting to do this job yet, though it is on the list.

Paul

Depending on what starter you've got - you can just replace the solenoid (if it's old/worn or the contacts are knackered)

I got one for £15 via someone posting the link on here. The one you've got may even "just" be dirty and needs a clean.

1. Undo 3 (very fiddly) bolts to get the starter motor off

2. undo two more to take the solenoid off the starter motor

3. fit the plunger of the new solenoid over the little bracket that sticks up inside the starter motor

4. do up two bolts to attach new solenoid to starter

5. do up 3 (very fiddly) bolts to re-attach starter motor to car

To put this in perspective - mine worked first time and I am not mechnical...someone else spent ages trying to get it to fit and couldn't...

I've just bought a new solenoid for my Magneton starter through Brise, was £38 + vat.

I'm not sure my problem is the solenoid; more a lazy motor. If I bench test the starter in a vice with a jump battery, the solenoid works perfect every time. However, in the car, it doesn't like to crank the engine unless I manually turn it over to the swept (ie no-load) stroke. Then it'll crank fine.

I'll try swapping the solenoid anyway.

Incidently,the upper rearmost securing bolt is a bugger to fit. Does everyone leave this out or maybe slot the spacing plate?