Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Type-9 5th gear problem

James_Russell

Hammering through 'Zijnveld Bocht', I went for 5th gear. Had been doing the same shift at the same place all weekend without trouble, so was quite surprized to complete the shift and re-plant my right hoof, only to find that I seemed to have stumbled upon another 'neutral'. The stick moved to the correct position in the gait and stayed there so it didn't simply jump out. There was no grinding and it didn't feel 'baulky'. After another attempt immediately afterwards with the same result, I resigned myself to watching my mirrors and making sure I didn't get in anyone's way ☹️

Lack of 5th was okay for that part of the lap but I was in desperate need of top ratio on the back straight, so i was on the rev limiter in 4th about 2/3rds of the way down. V-max: 95mph. great! *rolleyes*

Borrowed a gearbox for race two so I still have to get the 'box fixed and swap the borrowed one out in the next week or so.

Apparently no-one has seen a 5th gear failure with the other four ratios working perfectly- has anyone had this and what was the cause?

That's a first. A used box will be anwhere between £50 and £150 depending on what it's out of and what state it's in. Probably cheaper than rebuilding the existing one.

The alternative is to get it to BGH where they can lay on spanners and turn it into a superduper close ratio box with a useful first and fifth. It's the same job for them whether the box is decent or useless. On that basis if you just replace it don't throw it out, plenty here will have it cheap for a project box. *smile*

You're dead right Miltec, I'm not allowed to modify the internals in any way.

With regards to the repair, the 'box was packed off with McMillan Motorsport at the end of the weekend- It was just more convenient and I know the McMillan boys will sort me out *smile*. I have used Phil Stewart in the past for the 'box and diff' and would definately recommend him, he's nice and local to me too *thumbup*

The post was really just curiosity about what has gone wrong so I can continue to speculate about the size of the bill! Suggestions so far include "The gear may have moved on the shaft" and "the selector may be bent"

or is he waiting to pass comment until it's all opened up?

Yep! which is logical. As I say, everyone seemed a little baffled as it doesn't happen often.

BOSS- I think it has to do with the fact I know my box has the right length input, the right ratios, is legal for my championship and is a known quantity. A 'box is an item which will need maintenance from time to time so I hope that getting mine rebuilt it'll be good for another few seasons racing. I can't afford a single DNF and nor can I afford extra test days here and there to test parts.

Paul- good suggestion! that sounds like it could be inexpensive *smile*

I had exactly this problem many years ago, and uit was the fifth gear circlip jumping from its groove whihc was the problem.

Quaife redesigned that part of the shaft with a bigger clip/deeper groove on the straight cut boxes.

• 4 weeks later...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s210/James_Russell48/Gearbox.jpg

Well, there's our answer... The 'box is on it's way back from McMillan Motorsport who repaired it, new selector shaft and synchros on 3rd and 4th required. So hopefully it'll be with me tomorrow for re-fitting i time for testing at Castle Combe on Friday!

Edited by - James_Russell on 8 Aug 2011 12:44:27

Mankee- apparently, type 9 'boxes were later revised to beef up the selector pin, but mine was apparently built before this *rolleyes*

Re: synchros- Andy said they had hairline cracks so I assume he's talking about the synchroniser rings themselves- standard brass ones in this spec car.