Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Pump Location

David Mirylees

OK, so I am a newbie with a 7 - only had one for 43+ years and still learning...........

I notice that many later cars have their fuel pumps mounted adjacent to the fuel tank but I have always mounted my electric pump in the engine bay.

What is the thinking behind the location of the pump and what is the recommended pressure that the pump should be set at for a 2.0 litre Zetec running on 45's?

Cheers *wink*

Head above the parapet: *eek*

Plonk it anywhere you like. So long as the location and length/diameter of suction pipe doesn't create too much negative pressure at the pump, leading to cavitation/loss of suction, you should be OK. If it works throughout your engine loads/power, then it's obviously OK.

Can't help with the recommended pressure, I'm afraid.

Richy

I seem to remember the instructions I had (from James Whiting) when I installed my Zetec went along the lines of:-

The electric fuel pump needs to sit as low and far back as possible as it is designed to push the fuel up rather than the old mechanical unit on the xflow which sucked the fuel up.

So I installed mine low down next to the fuel tank, so it couldl push the fuel forwards (and up).

Dave H

Mine is mounted on a diagonal chassis rail behind the rear bulkhead behind the passenger seat lower than the fuel tank. My fuel pressure regulator is mounted on the front of the drivers footwell and set at 3.5psi, but that's for 40DCOE's.

2.0 Zetec on 40s.

I run with 3psi, fuel pump is mounted at 45 deg angle on rear bulkhead with rubber bobbins, fuel regulator is in engine bay approx. 12" before carbs

ETA - Fuel pump is a Facet solid state (not sure of pressure rating) and it's my fuel reg that's set to 3psi (works well for blatting and sprinting)

Edited by - Aeroscreens on 9 Jul 2011 22:26:13

Hi David

Running twin 40s on 1.8 zetec.

Fuel pump mounted on bobbins near fuel tank, pump rated at 4 psi (20 gallons - hour).

Pressure regulator mounted on front of pedal box set at 3 psi .

My reason for the rear fitting was more to do with concerns over the effect engine bay heat might have on the fuel pump.

Olly

I'm sure I was told that a Facet Red Top pump was better at pushing than pulling, and that it was best mounted close to the fuel tank, with the pressure regulator close to the carbs.

On my Xflow running twin 40's, the pressure reg. was set to about 3.5 psi (adjusted on rolling road).

I run Huco fuel pumps for years, before you had 2 models one for the engine bay one to put close to the fuel tank. now you only have one model for all

the best part is that you don't need a regulator with this pump

never had any problem with them,