Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Star Crack

glasgow

I bought some cheap rubber roofing paint from B&Q and gave the wings 2 coats on the underside. Seems to have done the trick generally although I did notice a star crack underneath a rear light cluster the other day, probably the result of tyre warming at sprints.

Thank you guys,

Aeroscreens,

I did notice a star crack underneath a rear light cluster the other day, probably the result of tyre warming at sprints
Mine is in the same place but not sure what you mean by tyre warming doing that?!

HU WP

I bonded some thin rubber sheet to the inside of the wing. I bought it on-line from an automotive trimming company. Works a treat.
Any more details please? How did you bond them - Sikaflex? How do they look? any pics please? and would be nice if you have the details where you bought them from - tried to do google search but got the company name as Durex?! Not sure which product to buy...! 😬

Ahmed,

I am just repairing some on my rear wingsv at the moment. Basically you need to cut the old ones out (with some margin to make sure all stresses are removed, then fibreglass from below. When dry use a good quality filler and knifing compound plus lots of wet and dry to get a smooth finish.......

I also used some rubber roofing paint form B&Q, but did not put enough coats on... lesson learned.

Edited by - jonboylaw on 29 Jun 2011 14:53:53

Try cutting to size & sticking on an old foam camping mat underneath the wings, works well for me and weighs almost nowt.

Xmog, Don't have an old camping mat, but liked the idea and will buy a new mat....

do you have some pics to show? what mat thickness you suggest?

Thank you

Buy some cut to size Kevlar off Ebay and bond it in with polyester resin. The stuff is bullet proof and adds very little weight and cleans easy. I've done almost 3000 miles in mine now and there is not a sign of a star crack and I don't think there ever will be.

Jason

All this "adding protective stuff " just adds weight *nono*

I've got a luuvly star on my offside rear from LEJoG thats not got worse. Just live with the "Keith Richards" look, he still performs well (probably on both counts 😬)

With bare fibre wings when running on a loose surface the noise also reminds you to be aware of gravel spraying the side panels *eek* which I do touch up.

Ahmed

I bought rubber sheet from Woolies car trimmers online. I made a template in cardboard then bonded the sheet with contact adhesive. If you e-mail me I will send some pictures.

Huw