Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fireblade battery/not charging

woodfell

The battery is going flat - happened last week and then twice today at the Dunsfold track day.

I measured the voltage across the battery terminals using a multimeter whilst it was ticking over and it measured 11.21 at best. Over a period of 5 minutes it fell down to 11.04 until the fan came on and then went down to 9.65. When the fan went off it went back up to 10.65 and stayed around that figure for about 5 minutes.

I put a new battery on it about a year ago and it is kept on a CTEK trickle charger all of the time.

Do you think it could be the alternator? If so, does anyone have any experience of replacing the alternator on a Fireblade? What is the cost and how difficult?

Thanks.

Robin

Robin,

Those voltages sound like it's running just off the battery and not charging at all as I suggested having jump started it yesterday.

Do as above and investigate the charging side. A new/bigger battery will just last a bit longer before you need a jump start again ☹️

My car did a simular thing not long after I had it, as said the regulator was fried. mine was fried due to me turning off the car via the Fia battery isolator one day, not realising there were no ballast resistor fitted.

I did however get an uprated regulator online for Electrex world, its a simple job, 2 bolts and one plug *thumbup*

• Area Representative

Robin

Before spending any money out I would download a Honda Workshop Manual from one of the Fireblade forums and look at the tests to do in the charging section. Alternatively get a Haynes manual that will give similar checks. If you have a multimeter you should be able to isolate the problem. It could well be the rectifier/regulator pack but do the checks first.

Nick