Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What connector is this?

John Vine

Excellent feedback! Thanks, chaps. I've looked at all the suggestions but I don't think they match what I've got. Some are very close, but the clipping arrangements are different.

Apologies -- I should have pointed out at the start that this female connector is the one used for the TPS connection on my R400D -- the male half is the TPS itself. I have a couple of spares, and was planning to use one to hook my modified TPS wiring into the main loom -- for which I'd need the corresponding male half, of course. Maybe the males simply aren't available as separate items? If that's the case, I'll get some ESC3's from PoleVolt.

JV

Hi John

I think the TPS plug may be from the AMP SSC (Sealed Sensor Connector) range. Have a look at the AMP catalogue here, page 56 onwards. The 3-position plug assembly is shown on page 59.

As they are designed to connect to sensors, there may not be a separate mating plug half. However, I wasnt sure what the 'CAP Housing' on p62 was - that may be a mating part - difficult to tell from the dimensions.

Regards

Angus

Angus, you're a star. *thumbup* *thumbup* The 184032-1 p/n you indicated matches the invoice I had for the female connector. I now need to find a supplier for the male half -- and preferably one that doesn't have a minimum order quantity of 1500 or so!

JV

Hi John

I looked for a male half and couldn't find one. That's the TPS side, hence part of a sensor or other fixture. This housing isn't meant for cable to cable connections, that's what the Econoseal connectors are for. The race replacement for the Duratec TPS actually has (~10cm) silicone wires soldered onto the blades in the TPS connector housing, which are then terminated in a standard Econoseal three pin connector, I'm guessing for this very reason.

John / Rattie

Firstly, John you're welcome !

Back to the technical discussion. I think the Cap Housing is the corresponding mating part. If you look at the Application Specification (pdf, 342kB) the exploded diagram on page 1 shows the Plug Housing mating with the Cap Housing, along with the male and female pins (called Tab and Receptacle).

The right part definitely exists, I think the challenge will be finding a supplier to supply in low volumes. However it might be possible to ask for samples .....

Rattie, interesting that the TPS race variant has soldered wires. Could this be to overcome the vibration-induced fractures to the wires that have been known ? Is there a CC part number ?

Angus

Rattie:

Many thanks for that. Now I understand why Darren in Parts was asking £60+ for the race TPS loom! Not bad value, I suppose, if a TPS unit (at £40+) is included. As an aside, do you know whether the max/min voltages of the race TPS are the same as the standard Ford unit? I ask as I've recently had my car TPS-mapped (replacing the standard MAP map). Or does the ECU work all this out for itself...?

Angus: Indeed, the challenge is to find a supplier who deals in units rather than thousands! I even asked CC's loom maker, and they tell me they've never used the male half, and aren't even sure whether it's available. I think you're entirely correct about the vibration-induced TPS wiring failures. I've had several (plus coil-on-plug wiring failures too, doubtless for the same reason). Your suggestion about samples is a good one as it seems that Tyco will ship, say, three FOC, provided I'm a company involved in automotive development (or something like that) -- which I am, of course!

JV

Good find Angus. I'd found the female half on RS but not that male cap.

John,

The race TPS is the same part as the standard TPS, but with the wires soldered on then potted in for strength. there is then an Econoseal three pin on the end of that, so you need to swap connectors. Not a problem as the original (184032-1) has usually fatigued off on at least one conductor anyway. 😬

I think James sent me a race TPS under warranty as my loom had done just that.

Thanks, Rattie. Which Econoseal do CC fit to the other end of the race TPS wiring? And is it male or female? Do you have any pics of the connector? That would be useful info before I hook in my existing modified TPS set-up (basically, much thicker wires, properly supported). Then, if in the future I decide to go for the race TPS, the loom connector will already be in place!

JV