Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HELP - mechanical OPG install. Lost a 'ferrrule'

Racingshoe

Installing a Stack ST3101 mechanical oil pressure gauge here

I've dropped the tiny ferrule compression fitting somewhere and I cannot find it. Where on earth can I get a spare? I understand that Stack don't do spare parts - am I wrong?

This thing is absolutely tiny - a bit like an olive from compression plumbing fittings, but cone shaped and tiny tiny tiny. I need this asap in order to make the Taffia chip run this weekend.

Hi,

I think I know what you are looking for, I had a oil pressure pip[e with fittings like olives years ago on an Imp.

Try Speedograph-Richfield. I googled PTFE oil pressure pipe fittings and got to this page; http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/html/oil_pipe_lines.html

About 2/3 way down there are some pictures of oil pressure pipe end fittings, I think item C is what you described. They list hoses made up with various different fittings, don't know if they would send you some of the olives on their own.

For what it is worth, I used the Mocal OPG from Think Automotive and the fittings are pressed into the ends of the hose so nothing can fall off.

Good luck, phil

Are you using the thin plastic tube that comes with the Stack gauge?

I didn't trust that, it gets kinked way too easily, and I could see it getting ripped and depositing the contents of my sump (slowly) through the ripped tube.

I replaced mine with a braided hose from Think Automotive. Not cheap (more than half the cost of the gauge) but I'm much happier with it.

Hello again,

Unfortunately thread size is only part of the story with OPG and othe live line instrument fittings. 1/8npt is pretty standard as a thread for the gauge end and also common at the engine end (on Ford at least) also, but the shape of the fitting on the pipe has 3 or 4 options as illustrated on the Speedograph web page: cone, olive and flat (Smiths) are the most common.

If you want a simple extra protection solution for the ptfe pipe that can be retro-fitted, then a length of split wiring conduit can be easily fitted and it looks tidy too. I use this stuff from vehicle wiring products; http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/sleeving/photo/f7.jpg

Good luck with the mail order.

Phil

Update.....

Just had an email from Andrew @ Stack to say he'll send me the ferrule by first class post. Top stuff *thumbup*

I must say that the gauge does look good in the car... it means now that all the older VDO gauges look a bit crappy. I may have to upgrade over the winter 😬