Click here if you are having website access problems ×

horn!

heptagon

I'm embarrassed to use the horn on my car as it is so feeble, are they all like this or is it just that mine has decayed over time (it does look quite exposed in the engine bay).

Only asking as I have an MOT coming up and I don't want it failing for this. I have checked the battery and the voltage is fine so I don't think it's a lack of power getting to it. Any advice? replace the horn??

Thanks

Scrap the standard ones and simply fit a pair of these in their place. LOUD !!!

edit: for a quick fix for the MOT, remove the horns and clean up the metal straps they bolt to ... both ends, so you get a good current path. Also clean the connecting tag on each horn ans the push-on connector. Try turning the tuning screws on the horns to see if varying the tone slightly helps ?

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 7 Apr 2011 13:46:52

I sympathise. Years ago when I was in charge of running the Venture Scouts minibus the MoT was looming and I was fettling it in the car-mad scout leader's driveway. I had carte blanche to use anything in the junk box. The horn didn't work so I found some rather nice twintone horns in ally. Only one would fit in the engine bay so I sorted out a bracket and attached it. Toot toot. It was like Ivor the Engine. Every MoT thereafter the tester would snigger at the sight of a LWB Bedford that had a little polite "toot toot" for a horn. It always passed though. *cool*

I wanted and never got round to fitting a horn that went "ArOOOOgah!" to the 7.

Hi Heptagon,

I had a similar problem and bought a new set of horns which are still in the box and available if you are interested. The reason why is that at the same time as I bought new ones I was given a set by an in-law and felt obliged to fit them instead.

I'm in Horsham West Sussex.

Phil

Meep meep is definitely the current sound

I will have a go at tuning them first and was certainly going to check the tuning screws. If not much success I will get some replacements, not sure about the Viking ones though 😬

I will go for something louder, I nearly bought a Stebel Magnum from Nippy Normans a few years back for a motorcycle, so I might go for a pair of them this time