Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fancy Handbrakes

myothercarsa2cv

• Area Representative

Used to navigate for a mate who had one fitted to an 1100cc Mini. Scared the sh1t out of me, but very good for handbreak turns and autotests.

Do Not Disturb - disturbed already

Charlie, never used your rubber suit, or trigger handbrake? *tongue*

Think of all the uses - hold the car on a slope, stop it from rolling away off your drive... It'll be shiny and bling...

Toby, I would get one, but I've given all my upgrade money to Arnie *tongue* I'll get in touch though, and see if it's been tried and tested on a Caterham,

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

I admit they do look neat, but is it worth £98 just for a fancy handbrake.

They are designed and made by Richard Oakes who builds the Blackjack and used to make the Avion, both 3 wheelers, he will be at most of the Kit Car shows I should think, and has his handbrakes on show. They do make one that will fit a Seven.

If you just want a 'flyoff' why not modify an old Spridget one or get one from a Morgan and make a bracket. I fitted them to a couple of Sevens years ago when I used to indulge in a spot of hooning, I mean autotesting. I can testify what fun that is, where you can be a complete hooligan and actually win something 😬

Paul J.

Being a bit thick here, but how's that supposed to work? If you've pulled the brake on tight you'll have to pull quite hard on the trigger to take it off, at which point the handle looks like it'll nip your hand between it and the handle, unless you support the handle with most of your fingers and operate the trigger with your pinky.

I must have missed the meeting where it was decided that the thumb operated button was obsolete 😬

Martyn

R300GRR

Waiting for a reply, MH, but will let you know! I suspect the Clubman will be the one we need, but will find out.

Rattie, the thumb operated one works great, sure, but after years of texting 100 times a day, the thumbs aren't so strong any more *tongue* I don't suppose they are any more functional in reality, they just look the biz!

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

Sorry to take it a bit O/T, but has anyone modified the standard CC tunnel handbrake lever so that in its off position, it nestles closer to the tunnel?

I haven't disassembled things yet, to see what might be involved. When my brake is fully off, the handle still sticks up at enough of an angle to interfere with the gearshift, unless i am careful.

Alaskossie

• 2 weeks later...

Alaskossie

Yes, I modded my handbrake as you describe.

Just take it off the car and movw the mechanism up and down. It is quite obvious where to file away material. A reasonable improvement is possible but still sticks up a little.

A good mod clearing the lever out of the way of gear shift action. A fractional weight saving to boot!

Incidentally the plastic Land Rover Discovery "grip" weighs in at 90g - bin it!

Peter