Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Potentially dumb widetrack question

ccconn

The only difference to the shocks is the extender bit. And, you don't necessarily

need these (I don't have them). I think you'd need adjustable platforms to allow you to get the

ride height correct if you don't fit the extender - plus its arguable that

adjustable platforms would be the first upgrade to fit anyway, giving more

benefits that widetrack.

AB

Give Gary May at Freestyle a call and haggle for some old adjustable sleeves and platforms - he usually has a box-full. He might also have the extension pieces, and some old ARBs left over, leaving you to find the wishbones, and brake lines. Who knows, he might have the whole lot if one of his customers has upgraded to his super-wide track.

I got my adjustable platforms from Gary; SM25T (aka Heath) helped me fit them, and set the car up (ish) and it feels much better *thumbup*

If you really want to keep costs down, don't go widetrack. I don't suppose it makes a world of difference to your enjoyment, whether it actually benefits you in anyway is debated often on here, and in my opinion, it's not worth the extra inch or two of track width for the money.

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

You need 4, or you are indeed defeating the object somewhat, and will almost

certainly end up with worse handling than you started with.

Freestyle Motorsport (if you can got hold of them) have used ones on their website

@ £40 a pair. You might find they have some wishbones, ARBs etc. as well.

AB

If the car has enough circlip grooves on the rear shocks, it can be successfully corner-weighted with only front platforms. Bit of a faff though and very hit & miss!

Get platforms all round, second hand as suggested above, then get it set up. you won't regret it- the difference is noticable especially when cadence braking.

Q41 ACF Classic #98

My Race Videos Here!

One consideration is that if you do go wide track is that it will lower your ride height. This is fine for looks & handling but possibly not for your sump! *eek*

I only have narrow track, I find the car handles very well, especialy since I changed to better rubber (2cv John *wink*) & with a narrow garage means I can get round the car more easily. One down side is the rear wings take quite a pounding from stones, I'm sure more than if the fronts were a little wider.

re ride height, I can't belive how low some caterhamsare compared with mine. I have some 110mm of clearance from the sump to the road surface, yet I have heard of some with as little as 50mm *eek*a real worry with our rubbish roads *mad*