Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Powerspeed exhaust panel cut-out

bob-the-b

I've just got a Powerspeed 4-2-1 exhaust system for my S3 1.6 K series Se7en to replace the single pipe system. I plan to instal this myself as it doesn't look too difficult.

All the advice I've seen is measure, measure, measure. So it would really help me if you could look at your similar installation and send me the following measurements :-

Size of the cut-out for the four separate primaries

Distance from the bottom of the cut-out to the bottom of the side panel

Distance from the front of the cut-out to a vertical line on the back edge of the circular hole for the steering gaitors

Any other hints and tips would also be welcome.

Thanks *wavey*

All my photos here K series 1.6 Supersport, K7 BLX

Bob, as has been said here many times before, do not use measurements from some one elses car, they are all too different you need to work the hole out from the middle by using each pipe in turn cutting the hole bigger until the pipe fits when bolted doen against the engine.

If you do one pipe at a time it is fairly straight forward, once you can get all pipes bolted in place with the collectors on you can add an extra 1cm to the hole and tidy it up to be a nice shape

Simon

• 5 months later...

The skin is VERY soft and thin, so a dremmel type tool will work, then a file and sand paper to clean up. Be careful as it is very easy to cut too far.....

Lots of masking tape and cereal boxes taped on will help, but just take your time.

Edited by - jonboylaw on 13 Jun 2011 16:09:50

I found that a medium flap wheel works very well on a flexible extension drive. You can get various diameters to suite the radius of the corners. Gives lots of control and slow cut. If necessary, rough out the large bits first with a junior hacksaw blade in a pad handle. Done carefully, you can do this with minimal risk of damaging the paint. If you want really straight edges to the hole, draw-file along the cut/sanded edge with a medium/fine flat file.