Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil choice … here we go

RD

I have been researching the ‘best’ type of oil to use in my CSR200 (2.3L Duratec).

Until now, I have been using Caterham’s 5W-50 oil, changing it every 2000-3000 miles or yearly. Car used for Road use only.

I have researched all BC material on oil, read the ‘Oilman threads’, read all comments over its Comma parentage, and believe it to be a mineral based oil.

After some more research on the Opie oils site, I may well try the Fuch/Silkolene Pro S (also known as Fuch Titan Race Pro S), which is a 5W-40 Ester Synthetic oil.

Any views or experience of this?

Rob

Hi Tim,

I have not had problems as far as aware. However, I am keen to use the best oil in the car. I think that the caterham synthetic oil is hydrocarbon based 'synthetic' from Comma. Whilst this is fine I am sure, I was keen to use a true synthetic, and the Fuch Pro S is an Ester synthetic.

My only reservation was the 5W-40 aspect rather than 5W-50.

Rob

If you have read the Oilman threads then you know the answer, no point asking the lay here IMO. Simon/Guy Barnard (Oilman) had one or two questionable marketing practices but I don't think there's much doubt they know their oil.

Someone I race with uses AMS 5w/20 oil, basically if the oil is good enough it should handle anything, and the thinner the better for performance. I use Fuchs Silkolene ProS 5w/40 in my race car with no problems at all and I spend most of the time at very high revs.

You will get people recommend whatever they use on here so don't expect one consistent answer on the best oil. It also depends on usage etc etc.

However, going back to your original question .... I use the Silkoline/Fuchs Titan 5W-40 and have been very happy with it over the last 5 years for road and track use. In fact, I also use and rate all the Silkoline products, cleaners and greases.

*thumbup* for my experience with Opie Oils over the years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calm down dear, it's only a forum!

Thanks for sticking to the question. I am a strong believe in using this forum to get advice and share stuff etc, otherwise what is the point of it?

As I mentioned after much research, I intend to use the Fush/Silkoline Titan Pro S 5W40 in the Caterham come spring.

Couple of points mentioned in the above replies (and thank you for replying -all): I did undertake a mid-season oil change at 1500 miles last season. The aim of switching to an Ester based synthetic was to overcome degradation through 'shear'; something that conventional mineral oil (like Caterham 5w50) is more susceptible to than those which are truly synthetic i.e. Esters. Hence switching to the Pro S will probably mean a full year/3000 oil change. I am not sure which the Mobil 5W-50 is in terms of mineral v Ester? I did note it on the Opie site.

I was also looking for an oil good through higher temperatures. Opie have told me that the Pro S is good up to 130C; my temps don’t get anywhere near that (say up to 90C) and I know the argument of ‘the oil might be ok at those temps, but don’t forget the engine seals etc’.

Good to hear someone has tried the Pro S out with positive results.

Thanks for this folks.

Rob

I'm probably going to open a can of worms here, but I some times think that one can get too anal over the type of oil in the engine. If you are only using your car on the road, there is no way you are going to be able to seriously thrash the engine to the extent that a good quality oil can't cope with it, especially if you are only doing 3000 miles between changes. I personally use Mobil 1 0W40 in my 1800VVC only because I put it in all my cars. am aware that it may be a bit thin, but that's a good thing on start up. The OPG reads a trifle low when the engine is idling when hot, but the gauge is the original Caterham electrical one which we all know is a rough guide only. IMHO as long as you buy either the recommended make and grade or a very high quality substitute anything will do.

Brian

You can buy Comma fully synthetic from a good motor factor which packaged for the trade and is 20 odd quid for 5l.

I used an American oil (Fuchs I think) in my 1600 k series sl. After a period of high speed (say indicated 80 on a motorway) the tappets were very noisy. You heard it when you slowed down. I thought it might have been because the oil frothed and didnt work the hydraulic tappets properly. The car does not do this with Comma.

I used to use the Silkolene Pro S in my previous turbo'd track cars with no issues at all with high temperatures, holding good oil pressure.

I now use a 10/40 semi (Magnatec) in my engine, changed regularly, so far so good.

*smile*

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) Joint AR, 07718 368173.

1600 supersport race car www.racelife.co.uk

Oil grade depends on engine type.

If its a K with hydraulic follower's then 5w-50 is best (or 0w-40 in winter) -

If a K with mechanical follower's then either 5w-50 or 15w-50 (or 10w-60)

As I say I have found Mobil 1 in the 5w-50 rally formula (now sold as Mobil 1 Peak Life 5W-50) to be very good.

I am a Mobil one fan having run my old GTI for 257,000 miles on it without any problems, and boy did that car get a trashing 😬 😬 I bet its still going now.

..and It was changed after every 10,000 miles *cool*

Edited by - Stephen Long on 16 Dec 2010 17:08:28

Edited by - Stephen Long on 16 Dec 2010 17:41:27

Rob I've running a 250bhp 2.3l Duratec so a little bit more tuned than yours, I've been using Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S 5W-40 for 5 years and I've never had a problem other than when I let it run a bit low but that's not really the oils fault 😳

It's not cheap stuff but seems to do the job and has coped with sprints, track days, 40C+ temperatures in Texas and Andora as well as considerably lower in Europe and the UK.

Cheers

Rob G

Rob G ; that is really good to hear thank you. To me, oil is the most important part of any engine but it is often difficult to get advice outside of the norm.

Always consider that twin overhead camshaft on the cosworth CSR, so an ester synthetic is an investment !

Rob

PS many thanks to all for taking the time to comment.

Edited by - RD on 17 Dec 2010 13:00:54

I run a highly stressed k-series putting out 25obhp and for some years have used the whizzy Silkolene stuff you refer to. I have had no issues over this time with the engine and it has been tracked, raced (v hard) and generally very well used / abused. Who knows if it was the oil, a good build, my fine mechanical sympathy... The best oil I can track down seems like cheap peace of mind alongside the other running costs.

James