Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter motor question.

The Pikey

As I am not using the MFU, I am fitting a relay for the starter button and figuring what fuse to use but I have come across something I don't understand.

Why does the solenoid draw massive amps when the main positive wire to the starter motor is disconnected but when it is connected and the motor can spin as normal the solenoid will draw 8 amps? So in other words, connect a 12v neg to the body of the starter and the pos to the small terminal on the solenoid and it will go click and then melt the wires. *eek*

cheers

jason

Edited by - jason fletcher on 30 Nov 2010 21:41:00

Silly question, but have you connected it up right ? Had a customer do this with a solenoid feeding a hosereel rewind motor. Had taken the feed to the motor from the small terminals for the coil on the solenoid.

Main fat feed wire for starter from battery to big terminal on solenoid, and then from the other to the starter. Small signal wire to small terminal on solenoid.

I believe the solenoid only has two terminals one small [activation] and one large Battery Starter current it also has a braided cable out [other side of contacts] to Starter main terminal the output of the solenoid coil is going to earth via the braided connection rather that a mechanical metal to metal connection Path of least resistance . In the absence of a supply at that point to the Starter coil it is then passing through the starter windings thus the massive current requirement Most unusual but I have seen it before Completely strip and clean your starter and solenoid.

It's definatly wired up correctly and theres nothing wrong with the motor because I have two different new ones and they both act the same. If you were to disconnect the main terminal from the battery to your starter motor and tried to start the car I recon the solenoid would click as normal but it would draw big amps and blow the solenoid fuse. I'm just wondering why this would happen?

Jason

SM25T

you are thinking like I am, it shouldn't, but I can assure you that it does!! Can't understand why. As I said, this is the same on two brand new but different models and different makes of starter motor.

I don't really need to know to get the thing running because when it's all connected it works perfectly but I do NEED to know to satisfy my curiosity.

cheers

Jason