Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon fiber clams anyone??

Alaskossie

Is there any interest among the POBC for a set of wide-track carbon fiber clamshell wings, to make your Seven really unique among equals?

Several years ago I had corresponded with the late RiF about making such wings, and he told me that he had the patterns, but had not yet had the time to make the molds. Sadly, time ran out for Richard, but I have corresponded with Nick at the renewed Carbon Bits company. He has assured me that c/f clams are a possibility, if there is enough firm interest.

It is expensive to move the process from pattern to mold, so Carbon Bits would need at least 5 or 6 firm orders before undertaking the process. The estimated cost for a set of wide-track clamshell wings, in prepreg c/f, is £850.00 per pair.

Is there any interest out there, or am I a solitary Seven aficionado with a c/f clam fixation?

Alaskossie

Hi Alaskossie, just a thought. My car has clams and is narrow track and i suspect most people who have clamshells will be too, so by making for wide track you are cutting down your market considerably. I know of only 1 car that has clams/wide track.

If the price fell down to £5-600 i could be interested, how many would need to sign up for that price to be realistic?

cheers

Jon

*arrowup*The price will not fall down to that as that is the cost of their rear wings and there will be alot more c/f in the clams

They would be a first class product for sure

Where is Ozzy ? he wiil want some

Mad Hatter The Dura Mentalist 😬 Carl @ Penn 7's *thumbup* Caution - May Contain Nuts !

On the question of wide-track vs. conventional c/f clams, RiF had informed me that his patterns were for wide-track clams, so I don't know if that part of the possible production by Carbon Bits could be changed now.

I agree it would be helpful to appeal to as wide an audience of potential c/f clam buyers as possible.

If the c/f clam pattern and mold were for narrow-track front suspensions, it might be possible to sandwich a 1-inch or 1 1/4-inch square aluminium tube between the clams and the body to bring the clams out for "wide-track" configuration. I saw that done once, years ago, with a narrow-track Seven in the Washington, D. C. area that had wider-than-stock tires for autocrossing.

Alaskossie

Tom, I have an S3 with the widetrack and clams. I ordered my car that way in 2000. There is no problem with standard clams on a wide track. The edge of the clams is in line with the outside edge of the 13 inch Avon CR500s. I had sent Angus a pic of the clams with the wide track back when he was considering doing it.

As for the Carbon Wings, I'd love a set but having a yellow car I just don't like the Bumble Bee look. If he has some blems that he's intererested in selling at a reduced cost, let me know. I would just paint them. A waste, I know.

Tom

Edited by - TomGaval on 22 Nov 2010 20:58:38