Click here if you are having website access problems ×

roller barrel R400

paul seymour

Advice please, new r400 is there much of a benefit in fitting the roller barrels from caterham parts, allways wanted them. allso on a sv does it not need the bonnet cut out.

Allso are there many other superlights with a spare wheel and carrier fitted, not sure if i should do this. what do you seveners think. Cheers.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are there many other superlights with a spare wheel and carrier fitted
Well, my R400D is one such. That's because I do a fair amount of continental travel, and prefer a good old-fashioned spare (not that I've had to use it so far). But then I started my motoring career when a full tool-kit and every conceivable spare part and get-you-home device were de rigueur.

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 12 Oct 2010 09:42:13

I've an R400D converted to Caterham roller barrels.

Personally I find the car much more to my liking.Throttle response particularly is much improved. I prefer the induction noise and top end performance is improved (track c/w another Seven, before and after conversion)

The engine on the plenum lacked the sparkle of my old K R300.

Just my findings on my car- I'm certain that, as ever, there will be other points of view........

Neil

Build pictures here

Guantanamo Bay Orange SUPERLIGHT R400......

Hi Neil,

It's great to hear your experience, the R300D plenum throttle response has a distinct delay (worse still when the TPS wiring snaps off *eek*)

We're definitely considering ITB upgrade at some point, and unless I'm mistake the CC/Titan roller barrels will fit under the SV bonnet while Jenveys, although probably technically a better solution will require a cutout.

I hadn't appreciated that CC offer an "uprade" to add the rack. I guess the bosses are there behind the aluminium skin. Has anyone else done this/had this done?

Martyn

R300GRR

Paul,

Re CC RB's, I forgot to say that I fitted these to my old 18.K Supersport, as part of the SS-R upgrade (140 to 160bhp). The upside was a crisper throttle response and a beautiful soundtrack. The downside was increased fuel consumption (from around 30 to 24-25). Whether this would be true of the R400D, I couldn't say. It seems a lot of bread for 10bhp.

JV

Paul

I have an R400D, S3. This did not come with the spare wheel carrier fitted and it was not even an option when I specified the kit, although it was on the SV. The chassis (metric) did though have the bosses for the carrier. Subsequently I have fitted the CC wheel carrier as a fully demountable item. This gives me (IMHO) the best of both worlds - spare wheel (and increased carrying capacity) when touring, and reduced weight etc when blatting.

I cannot help on the RB's as I dont have them, and they are not on the upgrade list. Noisy diff cure is top !

Angus

Hi Paul,

One more thought on spare-wheel carriers...

If you drive to trackdays and like to take along four extra wheels shod with your worn tyres (as I do), but without opting for a tyre rack, you'll be able to do that: one on the pax seat, two strapped to the roll-bar and one on the carrier (acting as the spare). If you also invest in a luggage carrier, you can take a jerrycan too! 😬

JV

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...