Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rattly headrests in Type S leather seats

Ivaan

They all do that (eventually) sir.

Think there is a sprung device in the tube in the top of the seat that breaks.

I fitted a Soft Bits draught reducer ... the mesh part provides a bit of tension between the head restraints. Also packed the restraints up to the required height with a bit of polystyrene pipe insulation, wrapped in black insulating tape. Don't notice any rattles now.

These seats are pretty poor design, mine are 13 years old and just rebuilt the drivers one. To stop the HR rattling......best way is to yake the cover off the seat, cut off the nasty little wire ties which secure the even nastier plastic back, then pull off the cover. Then you need a new sprung pin or simply use a cut piece of steel tubing and make to fit. Check that the plastic back is still in one piece and attached properly on reassembly. Or reinforce it with a piece of 5 ply across the back jamed infront of the verticle tubes. This also gives some lumbar support and is much more comfortable.

PJ

• 1 month later...

Sring is spot-welded in place I seem to recall - so for the effort in dismantling the seat to get to it to fit a new bit of spring steel, simply re-attach the old bitl floating around inside the seat.

I can't hear mine anymore due to the other Caterham noises - diff, engine, tyres, wind etc

Bri

Rattly headrests? Good grief, mine appear to be stuck fast and will not respond to hefty pulling or pushing. May contact the assembler in case he has Araldited them in. Is there a knack? Had the car a month only so still finding its foibles.

• Area Representative

St Eve,

Try generally leveraging them forwards to free them from the restrainting bar - and then give them a gentle thump upwards *wink*

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

• 1 year later...

I had a piece of brass strip. 0.5 X 22 x 70mm. 10mm down, bent over at 90 degrees . Pushed it down the tube, then behind tube in front of the the roller and hooked the 10mm under ther leather seat cover. the rattle seems to have gone and the headrest can still be moved.

Maybe a piece of spring steel may be better and can be shaped to hold headrest tube more tightly.