Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing sump xflow

McBreadhead

I have a low oil pressure problem which has plagued the engine since rebuild and I am pretty sure is due to the wrong sump pan being fitted. It came from a younger xflow (now spare) with different oil collector which accordingly also has the wrong sump.

So I plan to swap them over but wondering how much work is involved? I have an engine hoist and from memory my bellhousing splash plate is 1 piece not 2 as has been discussed here before.

Will it be easier to split engine and gearbox or take whole engine and gearbox assembly out?

Also can I check oil pressure with a portable mechanical guage as car is std electronic Caterham fare which I know can be suspect?

Hi

On my series 3 seven with a standard 1600 cross flow I could remove the sump pan from the engine in situ. Bolts at the back were a bit difficult so had to remove the small cover at the bottom of the bell housing. Did have a pit so that made it easy but on ramps i think you should get it off OK.

best of luck

Bob

Umm better check if you have the 1 piece or 2 piece as it makes a big difference, If the plate is in the original full section 1 piece then I don't think there is any option but take the engine out 😔

however check first it might have been split previously or it could be like mine and be missing the bottom plate totally.

If it is a one piece, read up on where to split it and split it while the engine is out.

Take care on sealing the sump when you refit, if it's not right it will leak..........

Q469 WET, 1990 1690 Xflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. But hopefully a Class 2 150 ish BHP Zetec in 2011. With a Dual Drive :-)CaterBram on Facebook

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 19 Sep 2010 20:51:26

Do not over tighten the bolts when you re-install it and do opposite corners to keep the sump pan from distoring, this will stop the leaks.

Greas the faces of the gasket to keep it in place and stop any leaks... worked for me.

If you do need to split the box from the Engine you don't have to take the engine out, just pull it forward enough to get the plate off backwards. Whilst off, you might as well cut it to save you time next time 😬

Jonathan

=========================

My Flickr Gallery

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow. Stealth model (Matt Black and Ali), rebuild completed.

Edited by - jonboylaw on 20 Sep 2010 12:49:40