Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What radiator for Duratec?

The Pikey

Can't decide what radiator to get for my new build. The engine should be doing 260 ish bhp and I want to use a Laminova so it will also be cooling the oil in a round about sort of way. I am currently looking at the Caterham Triple pass

The Radtec 45mm core and also the Radtec extreme but this seems way over priced...

Any other suggestions?

thanks

Jason

Have just received a Radtec (non-Extreme) as replacement for my Caterham rad which sprung a leak, great service, very well made and will cover up to 250bhp according to Darren at Radtec.

They are made to order so would be worth chatting to Darren since they may be able to adjust to your needs.

John

Edited by - jchasey on 28 Aug 2010 09:01:51

They look the same but the c400 is not triple pass. Check the header tanks, the triple pass has welds in two places on the header face, these are not there on the C400 rad.

Caterham have done lots of testing with different radiators, which I've been involved with. A triple pass rad will restrict the flow on a Duratec engine and may cause rad to expand.

Mick

if that's true then it's the first bit of duff info Darren has ever given me ☹️ I'm sort of edging towards the R500/R300 race rad at the moment anyway as these seem good value for money at 350 quid for a combined water/oil cooler and I have been told there's a version coming that the two are separately replaceable if needed.

Jason

I have used the Radtec Extreme on my 250 hp Cosworth/Duratec 2.3, and am very pleased.

One advantage over the triple-pass I earlier received from CC (don't know if this has changed), is that I specifically ordered the Radtec with the upper inlet and outlet ports on their proper sides, so that the radiator hoses would not have to do crossovers to reach their proper ports.

Alaskossie