robert green

there is a load of stuff in techtalk, starting point here

general opinion is its a faff but can be removed relatively easily

sorry cant help much more, think Alextangent has idiot guide

Tim

Didn't intend to suggest your are an idiot by the way 😬 good luck

Edited by - tbird on 7 Jul 2010 23:26:44

My sympathy Robert

It can be removed by the side of the road by an unskilled electrician (believe me, I'm one ...). Find the Vecta unit under the dash (a black plastic tube 30 (?)mm in dia with many black wires exiting it) Unpick your loom and you will find most of these wires go nowhere. Carefully disconnect the wires that are actually joined to your loom, find the correspondingly coloured wire that it was previously joined to, and reconnect it. There aren't that many. Disconnect your battery before you start.

Very best of luck (You CAN do it )

In October 2007 Alex McDonald produced a document on Vecta removal, which he kindly provided to me. I haven't got round to removing mine so I haven't validated his procedure.

It is a 60Kb PDF, so if you can receive mail then I could mail you a copy.

It's actually very simple to remove as I did mine a few years ago so you should be OK with some rudimentary tools. The one to the fuel pump might be tricky as mine was spliced in under the tunnel top just behind the gear lever.

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere

Thank you so much for all of the replies! Fortunately, I had to leave the car in the ferry hold over night and came to it fresh in the morning (after about an hours sleep!). It turned out that a poor connection to the battery was the culprrit, not the vecta - and easily fixed. The strange thing was it had been fine all day, and during the wait for the ferry. It just gave up as we were due to load!

None the less, I think I will remove the vecta as it is just another possible fault that can be removed. If you could blat mail me the pdf Jingars, that would great.

Thanks again to all who replied. It is nice to know that you are not alone when something like this happens!

Great Classic Le Mans by the way. Very hot, but the big old Bentleys sliding around arnarge corner were worth the trip on their own!