Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec 175 R300 Cough, cough, then engine dies

MartinH

Hi All,

My new (self built) Duratec R300 has done the following a couple of times.

It only has 300 miles or so on the clock and I will be discussing with CC next week but any idea what this could be?...

On my way to the meet point for the Penn Sevens blat yeseterday. I had done about 6 miles or so and the car was warmed up. Giving it some welly in 4th or so the engine misfires a couple of times. Few mins later doing a steady 50 in 5th or 6th the engine cuts out! ☹️ I prod the throttle and I get a whooshing sound coming from the exhaust (unburnt fuel and air maybe?) but the engine doesn't fire up again. Still coasting I try the starter button and the starter motor turns over but still the engine won't fire.

I come to a complete stop and leave the car for two mins then start again and all is well. I then enjoy a two hour blat with no further misfires or any other problems. It is a bit of a worry though as I wouldn't want this to happen mid-overtake for example! *eek*

Haven't done any investigation yet but I suppose could be an electrical fault. May be the immobiliser I guess? but the misfires a few minutes earlier would seem to indicate something else.

Any clues? In particular, any suggestions for tests I could do to try and narrow it down?

Cheers,

Martin

Duratec R300 SV finally alive!

Filler cap vented?

Well...whenever I go to fill with fuel I have a hell of a job getting the (aero) filler cap off due to the vacuum in the petrol tank. Eventually I prize it open enough to let some air in then I get a big blast of air going in. Is this normal? Could this vacuum be working against the fuel pump when trying to get petrol through to the engine??

Cheers,

Martin

Remove the filler neck cover, there are 3 hoses on the neck. Pull the smallest diameter one off and see if you can suck through it. If you can't and you can blow through it follow the hose and reverse the valve.

A vacuum in the tank can cause fuel starvation and collapse the tank.

Edited by - mic on 27 Jun 2010 16:03:33

Hi Mic,

You were right. Thanks again. Seems Caterham had installed this valve the wrong way around! Still, it was only a half hour job to untangle the pipes, reverse the valve and put back again. Hopefully that will stop the engine cut-out problems now. All seems to make sense if fuel couldnt get through anyway.

Cheers,

Martin

Oh dear ☹️ potential disaster!

I put the car up on the stands to do the job on the breather valve and have just checked the tank (thanks for the tips guys). The front face of the tank is now decidedly CONCAVE! At the centre point I reckon it has distorted by about 5cms. I take that the tank normally has flat sides??

One for CC to sort out I reckon. I don't like the sound of a fuel tank that has been bent out of shape.

Martin

*eek* well, that's an interesting idea...any idea how to do that? Foot pump maybe? But how to connect to beather pipe? Might fatigue it more though? The indentation isn't in an area where there is a seam. I should probably take the ali boot floor out as well in case the top has gone in too I suppose. I am waiting for CC's advice now.

M

My slightly addled old brain *biggrin* was thinking along the lines of removing filter on breather and replacing with tyre valve, zip tie that on with small zip tie and use a foot pump or compressor, dont know if pipe would take pressure or even if aero cap would seal in that direction but if pipe accessible may be worth a go, my original thought was rubber bung fitted with valve in filler neck, but getting correct size bung would be a pita.

Alternatively how do these dent master type people ping out similar dents in Panels,

just trying to "think outside box" (or tank 😬) really maybe inspire other ideas

Phew, same issue, just checked. Checked with James at CC, yes it's wrong. Swapped over. Oddly even after two track days and 1600 miles, our tank hasn't deformed. Maybe the filler seal wasn't as good.

So Martin, at least your misfortune has avoided ours. Much appreciated.

Martyn

R300GRR

Hi Martyn, Glad you have avoided disaster - although sounds like you are having fun with your diff instead. Would be good to get a ride in each other's car at some point to compare notes.

spiderlane - there is a version of how to do the check further back in this thread but I did it another way...

I put the car up on the stands and got under to look at the breather pipe. I cut about 7 or so cable ties off and dropped the pipe out so that it was hanging down. The valve is a red metal piece about 2 inches long that has small jubilee clips holding the pipe on at either end. I opened the petrol tank filler cap to allow air in and blew into the breather pipe. I couldn't get air in. I removed the valve and put it back the other way around. Now I can blow air into the pipe - thus allowing the tank to suck air in when it needs it as fuel gets used up.

I wonder how many other cars out there have this problem?!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Martin