Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petrol pump nozzles too big

diggerman

Just put my 150 Sigma on the road and found that petrol pump nozzles wont go down the spout far enough to open the non return flap and therefore it is impossible to fuel the car. Car has aero cap. Caterham have advised taking out the flap and chiseling off a piece of weld. Seems crazy that a new filler cap does not work. Anyone else had same problem and did you find a sensible solution?

Peter

• Area Representative

Use the plastic spout from a portable can to open the flap or use a biro to hold it open - not ideal but at least you can fill the car!

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

I had exactly the same problem from new with my 2008 Sigma150 and and had the flap removed and now fuel goes in with ease. As you say a daft situation to be in as the flap is part of the SVA/IVA requirements I believe and you'd think a solution would have been found by now.

Posting doesn't get tougher than this.

Theorectically safer to have it full to the flap with petrol - less surface area to be producing more flammable/explosive vapour.

I think I might be removing it well away from the tank if I was about to weld it though . . ;-)

I think I still have the flap in mine after 10yrs - I know it gets in the way of my siphoning pump, but it doesn't give me any hassle from normal filling - it's all in the angle of penetration . . .

Bri

• Area Representative

I had the same problem with my 150 Sigma.

Carterham Midlands removed the flap when I took it in for a service and filling up is no longer a problem.

*wavey*

I think that it is now a solved problem at CC. I asked when I ordered the aero cap for mine (they do look the dog's!) and was told they had modified the design and now all was OK. Well, I have to say that although I can rarely leave the pump at full blast, I have no problems filling the tank.

Sorry this is no help; just put it here for future searchers.

==================================

R400SV in orange - so far unmodified!

I knocked the flap out in my Sigma 150 and now find filling easy. I think it has to be there for IVA though, I gather the reason being, if you turn the car over it helps to stop fuel running out. I would suggest removing the the filler neck before attacking it, it's a simple job to do.

Peter