Click here if you are having website access problems ×

new build completely dead

fred_gustafsson

Almost finished my build (RS 175) and tried to start her up. Absolutely nothing happens when ignition is switched on. I checked the battery, the battery to chassis, battery to starter motor, engine to chassis, lights to earth, dashboard to chassis and they all have good contact. Any wise thoughts?

Edited by - fred_gustafsson on 17 Apr 2010 08:20:40

Fred

Is the immobilisor disconnecting properly. I have just finished my Roadsport 150 SV and I had the same problem. I found that I have to raise the fob so it almost touches the ignition barrel before it disconnects. Only then will the starter engage and engine turn

They usually only stop the injection/ignition at most - you should be able to turn everything else on and even crank the engine (but it clearly won't fire) with the immobiliser armed.

Have you fitted an FIA cut-off switch?

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Update: switching the battery leads around made all the difference. I now got power to lights, instrument, fuel pump etc. However, nothing happens when I press the starter button.

I suspect I got my leads the wrong way around somewhere. Can anyone confirm the following?

Battery negative to red lead to starter solenoid to brown lead to altenator. And battery positive to black lead to chassis loom that disappears under the scuttle.

Fred

Something odd here.

Battery negative to red lead to starter solenoid
and
battery positive to black lead to chassis loom

Negative normally black and connected from battery to the engine block with another black wire from the engine mount to the engine block.

Positive normally red and connected from battery to the starter motor.

Not sure if you have a cut-out switch, if you do - there will be two red wires one goes to the battery and the other to the starter motor. I have a cut-out fitted and I think the loom is also powered via the switch - you should have a red wire powering the loom.

Chassis is negative/black and loom is positive/red.

Hope this helps.

Andy

With regard to the immobiliser there is a black wire running round the top of the ignition barrel. The first few time I had to touch the fob to the wire to get the immobilier to disarm. If the fuel pump primes (You will hear it quite clearly) then the immobilser is disabled.

Simon

Roadsport 175 SV

Fred, I know this sounds like an odd question but are there two separate markings for + and - on the top cover and main body of your battery, and if so are they the same way around? My last battery (an Exide bike battery, which has now been replaced as it expired in the cold weather!) was like this - the terminals marked + and - on the top cover were actually the wrong way round and the markings on the body (reversed) were correct. Whoever connected it up originally thankfully had noticed this *wink* and marked the correct polarities on the top with a marker pen!

It's probably worth a check if nothing else *smile*

I had exactly the same problem after finishing my build, all electrics were ok except starter. I spent ages on the phone talking to CC trying to solve the problem and they kept coming back with it must be earth - (after trying everything else). I told them I'd paid particular attention to the earth connections so it couldn't be that. In the end they decided to to collect the car and trailer it to CC Midlands and much to my embarassment it was an earth problem. I was told not to be to worried because it's something that's easily done, apparantly they put a clear coat on the aluminium scuttle before it's painted and it's easy to think you have a good connection when in fact, unless you clean this right back you haven't.

Perhaps and maybe it could be your problem!

Peter

I too had an earth problem on my Sigma home build. The 175 duratec may be different but on mine there was 3 smaller earth wires off the loom near the ECU each with a brass eyelet on. I bunched them together & screwed them down tight under a mounting screw for the map unit & checked for resistance with a meter.

WRONG! *redface* Car returned from the post build check with another hole drilled beside the battery, a little paint scrubbed off & a big screw & washer done up nice & tight. The immobiliser is very sensitive to earth faults!! All the electrics worked on mine but it wouldn't crank, like yours I belive.

Good Luck *thumbup*

Fred, the car is negative earth so there is something not right with your setup.

Red is +ve, Black is chassis ground and battery -ve

The only place where this seems out of kilter is the brown wire (with a black sleeve) from the alternator +ve to the starter solenoid switched +ve.

As Fast Lady suggests, check the battery terminals and polarity (with a meter).

Could you take some pictures and post them on flickr or somewhere? I suspect it's a simple problem, but without seeing what you've got its hard to know what's wrong.

Martyn

R300GRR

Edited by - Rattie on 18 Apr 2010 07:20:50